Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Notes and queries on Saturn

Jove

Great seeing and no haze, so got in a good look at Saturn ;)

Could make out what looked like some kind of weather belt running across the north of the disc (latitude of maybe 45 degrees) - would this be a belt like those on Jupiter or is it a shadow of the rings. It was more clearly visible when using a light blue filter.

Could make out some variation in brightness across the rings but not enough to say I could distingush individual rings - ought that be possible with a Skymax 127? Could also not make out the Cassini division, would anyone be able to comment if I would expect to be able to do so?

Thanks! :)

Hi,

There is a clear northern equatorial belt on Saturn and it is, I believe, similar to those found on Jupiter. There are others as well but they are not readily resolvable in the sort of scopes we have access to. There is a large storm system on the northern side of the above belt but it's visibility has been variable.

You can also see where the rings cross Saturns disk which is in the southern hemisphere of the planet (as we see it). There is a small dark "notch" on the rings where they pass behind Saturn - this is the shadow of the planet cast on the rings.

Personally, I've found the Cassini Division quite challenging so far this year. I've needed 6" of aperture to see it and even then it was glimpses as the seeing conditions allowed. I've glimpsed the Crepe Ring once or twice with my 6" and 10" scopes under periods of best seeing.

You should also have been able to make out a number of moons - at least 4 including the brightest, Titan.

There is quite a lot to see, even with modest aperture scopes :)

Thanks for the help John.

I was surprised at how much I could see - I wasn't expecting to be able to make out any cloud systems.

I could see two moons, Titan and Rhea I think.

Nice :)

Looking forward to Jupiter later in the year!

Archived