A litte advice.

Hi all. Just registered after having a look around for some info. Found some stunning pictures and alot of useful information.

The question which i cannot find an answer to.

I have a telescope which I took ownership from my grandmother as it was buried in the bottom of one of her cupboards and she couldnt tell me what it was.

It is an "Astelle 60" which i have researched and found it to be manufactured by LOMO? (Home -> Products -> Telescopes -> Spotting scopes -> ASTELE™ 60)

I want to try replicate some of the images I have seen , I know they will not be anywhere near the standard seen in some of the photos on here, but I would love some lunar shots.

Is it possible to mount a camera on this? I have a Canon 350D and also a 40D

Does anyone have any experience with this scope? As I have no manuals or packaging, just a scope, an odd looking viewfinder (not entirely sure if its for the scope)

Thanks in advance for any advice, hopefully positive, but if the truth is scrap it its no use so be it. Haha, Thanks.

Hi 3663,

Well let's start with a welcome to SGL. These fellas on here are blinding and despite them all being really clued up, they spend a lot of time in the beginners section for people like you and I. So you've come to the right place.

As your link suggests, your telescope is a Maksutov type (which just defines the way it captures the light). The advantage you have is that it cost you nothing and you have 2 cameras which are capable of attaching to the scope. If you go to FLO (sponsors of the forum) and check out 'T-rings' and 'T mount adaptors', that is what you need to attach your cameras to your scope. The best way is to call them and ask. They're really helpful. If it doesn't work out, you'll still need those t-rings for using on a different scope.

Let us know how you get on.

Hi and welcome to SGL.

This scope comes with a 1.25" focuser - so the answer is yes you can attached a camera to it using the following adapter Adaptors - Hotech 1.25" SCA T-Adapter but as has already been mentioned the weight of a d SLR might be an issue....

You might do better to get yourself a webcam and laptop and start out lunar imaging that way - you'll get better results on the moon and planets using a webcam over the dSLR.

Cheers

Ant

Thanks for the quick replies.

Ive been wracking my brains on how to actually mount a camera on this! I wont mount the 40D, but I reckon the 350 is pretty light.

I should probably first learn how to use it properly before trying to get pictures haha. Will order up some mounts later on today, (AF fitting ring and T-rings) think it also requires a new viewfinder. Looking through it a few nights ago when I got it, it is a very very small image being reflected, when on the moon it was just a small white glow in the very centre of the viewfinder with a very small crosshair, now if its the other way round, the shot takes up the whole of the viewfinder, but it will not fit that way!

I have a few webcams sitting about the house not being used anymore so will also have a look down that route. Thanks.

I don't know what your scopes look like, but small Maksutov telescopes (very short, yes?) can sometimes mount on a standard camera tripod if they have the 1/4-20 adapter thread somewhere on the barrel.

If that is the case, get a proper eyepiece for it, (25mm is a good starter), and see what you can do visually before you try some photos.

A photo of your scope would help us help you, too! We could better see what you have.

Good luck, and welcome to SGL!

Dan

Yes it is a Maksutov type scope.

Ive ordered up a 25mm 1.25" eyepiece which should be with me sometime in the next week.

As you can see from the attached pictures the current eyepiece doesn't look right, someone who knows about this will probably tell me it looks normal, but from looking at pictures of the scope , the eyepieces look nothing like this haha.

?action=view&current=P1010335.jpghttp://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e384/Wheniwake/P1010335.jpg

?action=view&current=P1010335.jpg

Archived