Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Changing my ways : 14.5 hours LRGB on M63

Catanonia

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the end, we all go down the 'lots and lots of imaging time' route :)

It is the only way to get really deep and smooth images.

A great result Cat.....I agree that a little less sharpening might be an idea. You certainly have enough RGB, now throw some more luminance at it ;)

Cheers

Rob

Beautifully detailed M63 and the dark stuff surrounding it is new to me. Congratulations, your time and patience has been well rewarded.

Some people have suggested a bit less sharpening. Personally I don't think it is the sharpening itself that is the issue but the method of achieving it. The PixInsight HDRwavelet transform treatment is an excellent tool but, to my taste best used in very small doses. It tends to flatten out the dynamic range whilst doing it's sharpening. Because it works so well it is tempting to ramp it up, core detail just keeps appearing but at a price. Try using a mix of methods - good old fashioned unsharp masking and, if you have PS the high pass filter contrast enhancer.

Well done Cat, you're high rolling now!

Archived