NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Worth me investing in a webcam?

lw24

Hi all,

I'm totally hooked on astronomy at the moment, and love finding new Messier Objects. One thing I would love to do though, is to record some images of some of the planets and the moon.

My equipment (that I feel you may want to know) is as follows:

Skywatcher Startravel 120 (f/5) + Baader Fringe Killer

Skywatcher AZ4 Mount (Alt-Az)

Antares 2x Barlow

Now, I understand that my telescope isn't the best for planetary views, but it definately gives a cracking view of the Moon and Saturn visually, so I don't see why it would be a problem (Please tell me otherwise if it would be).

The problem, is the mount.

I've read in some places that Alt-Az + Astrophotography = No Go

But in others I've read that for webcam AP it's not a problem, as you let the object drift into view, start the capture, then stop it just before it leaves. Then you line it back up again, start the capture and so on.

So, overall, with my setup, would webcam AP be worthwhile?

I really want to have a go at it, so would only like to avoid it if it definately wouldn't work.

Cheers

Definitely worth it imho. For snapping planets a webcam is best and Registax is one of the favourite tools for aligning (mostly cos it's free to d/l and good). Because the frame rate is fast and the planets are bright and near, you can track in either alt/az or eq mode.

For dso photography though a polar aligned eq mount is essential so you can track in a single plane (RA). Some use an alt/az mount on an equatorial wedge. Long exposures demand highly accurate tracking and guiding cos the objects are so dim and far away.

Hope that clears it up for you :D

I think I know how to use Registax now, after a bit of playing around with some AVI's from my digital camera.

I wish 365astronomy could cancel my order already! I've sent them an email, still no response after 3 days. Might have to phone up tuesday.

Cheers

Go for it, get a SPC 880 or 900 and as said keep the avi's to about a minute maximum.

You might even get away with a barlows in there, but keeping the target in the FOV might be an issue as might the optics of your scope.

Looking forward you your 1st images.

Archived