NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Crescent Moon, Venus, Mercury & Jupiter:

Whilst not the best photograph I've ever taken, it does show the wonderful conjunction which was available to me this moning:

5673519547_b83306d2a3_b.jpg

DSCF7004-04 by jessplop84, on Flickr

I'd been waiting for this one all week, getting up early and hoping to get something as the Moon waned and drew closer to the position it is in here. I had to battle against the dew, which is fearce here in the tropics, more like rain when you see how wet everything gets.

Well done! I set the alarm for 5 this morning hoping for similar but the cloud had different ideas ;-(

Nice to see someone else managed it though, and I'll try again tomorrow, Tue am looks promising.

Tomorrow is, I think, the last chance to catch the crescent moon, about level with jupiter. Probably by the time UK has rolled round, the moon will be new, but good hunting for the wee pebbles and that HUGE ball of gas.

I had a look this morning, Venus was showing, but there were obvious clouds that I could tell would provide severe disappointment, so climbed back into bed for another 40 minutes or so. On returning outside, it seems that I had made the correct choice.

I'm still hunting for any signs of Mars on the images, but I fear the quality is just too poor...

Just like Capt. Ahab, I are becometh obsessed with this, plus it is my last day at work (non-uniform day) and am eagre to pass time as productively as possible. To wit, I are stretching the bounds of rationality and, whilst trying to disprove what I am imagining that I am seeing, I am almost, but not entirely, convinced, that yon red planet Mars has indeed imprinted itself, albeit in the faintest and vaguest of manners, onto at least one of my photos.

The original:

5678457266_52f202c4ba_b.jpg

DSCF7016 by jessplop84, on Flickr

The 'doctored' one, where I have used a clone of the Jupiter 'smudge' to mark where my twisted imagination believes Mars to be, which is in approximately the correct position, according to Stellarium:

5678457284_fa6d2317c3_b.jpg

DSCF7016-Mars location by jessplop84, on Flickr

Huge thanks to Laurie, aka Ursa Major, for spurring me into my investigation.

I am now satesfied that Mars did indeed make an appearance on not one, but two seperate images, taken at different zoomingses and a couple of minutes apart...

I have highlighted the 'suspected planet' on each image. As these appeared to be in the same position, relative to Jupiter, I went further.

Using Gimp, I layered one file over the other, resized the 'zoomed' image and made a slight rotation to get the same orientation of Moon and Venus.

Zoomed image:

5679297972_82c9f89df7_b.jpg

DSCF7016-mars test IIa by jessplop84, on Flickr

Widefield image:

5679301770_aa3048d767_b.jpg

DSCF7014-Mars test IIb by jessplop84, on Flickr

Composite image:

5679300720_d66373d9ee_b.jpg

YM conjuction 01-05-2011-mars test IIa by jessplop84, on Flickr

Whilst the lens on my fuji camera suffers from terrible curvature, it is clear without a doubt (to me anyway) that the 'susupected planet' isn't an artifact of either sensor or lens.

With this knowlage, I can now apply more serious photoshoppery to enhance the planets in the frame.

I is reet chuffed, so I is!

Archived