NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher Heritage 130P Flextube, DSLR question

:) My god that's an amazing image of Jupiter! Great success is an understatement. I can barley get that good in my 8" reflector. http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-planetary/115652-my-1st-ever-webcam-attempt.html I'd been considering getting a heritage for a grab and go but given the "flexy" look of them I'd never have imagined they were that good.

Thanks. If its any consolation, I've never been able to get anything like as good a shot as that one ever again. I think it was a combination of great seeing, perfect focus (by chance), and right webcam settings.

The OTA when extended is very rigid. Ive added a DIY lightshroud/dew shield to mine using a camping mat which can be taken on and off in a minute. And at the weekend I made a focusing mask.... so hopefully focus will now be something that isnt left to best guess/chance when imaging.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've hit a snag with my Pentax in that it can't get closer enough to the secondary mirror to focus on stars.

I get the same problem with an unbarlowed webcam with the heritage. Of course the great thing is all you have to do is undo the locking screws and shorten the tube a little then relock the tube. Ah, the beauty of a flex tube.

A big plus for the Heritage then on that score. :-)

My modified Barlow didn't work so I've come up with a new solution.

I had a few old broken camera lenses around so I've disassembled the innards and found 2 lenses that fit exactly between eyepiece and metal Plossl attachment. I've just tried them out for viewing and they have approx a 0.6x magnifying effect.The lens is obviously high quality circa 70's Japanese optics. It actually makes the somewhat poor SW 25mm EP quite usable for moving around the sky.

I've glued the other one into the remains of the SW Barlow and about to try some prime focus with that. :-)

If nothing else, I'm picking up so many cracking hints and tips.! ;)

I think the Heritage is my prime target. I did read somewhere else that being a flextube, you can simply adjust the length of the tube, comfirming Crow's input.

I'm definitely sold.! :)

• 1 year later...

Some great advice here.

I've got a Heritage 130P and had some luck with a iphone and compact camera held to the eye piece. I brought a T adapter and ring for my Canon 550d but can't get close enough to focus. i'll try shorting the tube next time i'm out. Did the barlow methos work as well? Can someone recommend one that does work?

thanks

Mark

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjyHwh1y

I have found this thread a bit late, so i can only say what has already been said a few times.

I have a SW Heritage 130P and a DSLR camera (Canon 450D). I have never introduced them to each other simply because i am pretty sure the work involved in getting even an OK image would be more then its worth. You would have a much easier time and better results if you used a webcam, or even a universal digital camera adapter (with a simple point and shoot camera attached).

As far as the Heritage goes, as a scope..................

Its brilliant. Its cheap, uuber portable and really punches above its weight. It has identical optics to the SW Explorer 130P.

Archived