NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Epsilon Bootis

Hi,

Following Shane's post Here I have tried several times to split Epsilon Bootis. Each time I seem to get close without seeing an actual split. Is this because I haven't enough magnification?

With the EPs I currently possess the max I can go to is 166x. Thanks in advance for your help.

It may be due to seeing, it may be your collimation is slightly out it's most likely seeing though. If you are going to go double hunting make sure your collimation is good as doubles are a good test of optics. you should be able to split them with your scope on that mag so it's one of those 2 problems

It may be due to seeing, it may be your collimation is slightly out it's most likely seeing though. If you are going to go double hunting make sure your collimation is good as doubles are a good test of optics. you should be able to split them with your scope on that mag so it's one of those 2 problems

Thanks for the quick reply.

Sounds like the seeing has been less than perfect as I have star tested collimation and as far as I can see it's OK.

Will keep at it, I won't be beat.

I've just noticed in your sig and something I should have thought of , when did you last get your eyes tested? I don't mean to be offensive it's just that some of us are not as dilligent in looking after ourselves as our equipment.

I've just noticed in your sig and something I should have thought of , when did you last get your eyes tested? I don't mean to be offensive it's just that some of us are not as dilligent in looking after ourselves as our equipment.

No offense taken but I have a regular eye test and can still split Mizar/Alcor with my MK 1s.

hi there

I agree collimation is important. Bootes is getting higher now so should help a bit. I should think with 166x you should be able to split it with your 150. As with planetary observing it's useful to observe doubles for a period as the seeing will come and go. Make sure your focus is spot on of course. Another option (might seem daft) is to observe with the cap on and the small aperture cap removed - make sure this is in a gap between the spider arms. This effectively increases the focal ratio and may help a little to get tighter images.

Archived