Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ETX 90 for solar work

Just ordered Baader Solar filter, waiting for it to come.

How do i get the ETX90 to follow the sun or do i have to do it manually using handbox arrows, as i cant align to pole star and 2 others during the day. Is there some option i need to set or something i need to do with the scope during setup

Also going to view sun on netbook using my SPC900nc . The sun will be massive at this magnification. Should i get a focal reducer and if so which one/from where

Figure out where North, not magnetic but Due North, is during daylight. Level the scope as normal and give it the time (real) and tell it to do easy align.

Then just accept wherever it points to as accurate, hit OK at each offering. That will keep the scope happy,

Stick a long focal length eyepiece in and ask it to goto to "Sun" (think it will).

Hoping that the sun will be in view. Centre it.

Not a lot else I can think that you can do.

Oh yes, having a solar filter over the front will be useful.

Think that Astro Engineering make a good glass plate screw on one for the ETX90 that screws in as the objective cover does.

Remember NOT to use the finder to centre the sun better, people are prone to try and without a solar filter on this as well your eyes get upset.

Yes, be VERY careful not to look at the sun and especially not with an unfiltered telescope of any sort - the finderscope is enough to blind you. Put a cover or cap on the finderscope to avoid potential accidents - it's so very easy to look through it in the heat and excitement of the moment. I know this warning is given repeated and all the time but I make no apology our eyes are extremely precious maybe even more so to astronomers than some others.

Make up your Baader Safety Film filter very carefully with special care that it's well fixed on the front of your scope - you don't want it to blow off in a freak gust of wind.

Enjoy your solar observing and photography - I've see a lot of sunspots recently.

One day I will read the manual as there may be a shorter route, like one star - assuming that the scope picks the one star. Logically there could be an option that simply starts from Level+North and no stars.

Would save the hassle of saying Yes twice, but that isn't a great deal to worry about. 30 seconds for each I suspect. Interesting to see what the scope picks to align to if the sun wasn't glowing.

The key thing will be to start out level and North, the more accurate that this is the better, and a 32, or 40mm, eyepiece helps as the scope has a narrow filed of view.

Cloud here as well, otherwise I could do much the same. About time I used the solar filter for mine.

Archived