Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sky Watcher Explorer 200P and Konusky 200 Motor review?

The Sky Watcher Explorer 200P EQ5 review by Sky At Night Magazine is referenced all over the web, and the 200P gets 93%.

http://stargazerslounge.com/sponsor-announcements-offers/81865-skywatcher-explorer-200p-eq5.html

However, footnote to that review it says:

"The group included the Orion Optics (UK) 200mm Europa DELUXE and the Konus Konusky-200 motor."

I cannot find that Sky At Night review of the Konusky 200 Motor telescope (which I've got).

Does anyone have a copy of that review and would at least quote the review score and summary?

Thanks

Boz

From what I am led to believe these particular scopes are manufactured by Synta in China manufacture the scopes on a mass scale and what ever retailer wants them has them and bangs a brand name on the side. Konusky, Celestron, Sky-watcher who ever they are all the same scopes from the same factory just under different brand names.

Thanks for that. That makes a lot of sense from looking at them on the web, as they are very similar, and their evolution of models through recent years is also identical.

However, why would Sky At Night review two identical scopes from the same manufacturer?

Would still appreciate seeing the original Konusky 200 review if anyone has it.

Also, is it true that both these scopes have good mounts for observing, but not so good for long exposure photography?

Boz

However, why would Sky At Night review two identical scopes from the same manufacturer?

Boz

Pointless I know but none the less true. They did a review on laser collimator's Dec 2010. There was a Meade and Altari Astro collimator which for all intense purposes are the same collimator. Some of the review winners have been very questionable but what you have to consider is if Synta are the main manufacturer and most Chinese scopes are out of their factory S@N wouldn't have a lot to write about regards reviews if they let the cat out the bag. Plus I'm sure there would be some legal issues to mention as Celestron seem to charge a lot for their scopes compared to SW even though they are practically the same from the same factory. It would be funny to read the two reviews comparing your scope against the same scope but with a different sticker on the side but I imagine it would only read the same as the collimator review :)

TBH it doesn't take a genius to figure out they are the same scopes so I have no idea why they keep up the charade??

They keep it up because of the perceived value of the various brands - Celestron was once the world leader remember.

Alan.

Paying for the name in other words.

ORION is another Chinese (Synta) astro gear seller who like to put a high value on their stickers.

In most other markets, they would aim different brands at different demographic markets. Astronomers by their nature tend to be fairly clever people though, so not sure why they continue with it really, unless it is to dump cheap gear with an expensive brand on newbies.

Alan

• 2 years later...

can anyone out there do a comparason between these 2? i have the konus but the only skywatchers i have are a 150p dob and a 102 refractor.

however i have heard they are made by the same company. and should be the same scope. but in the short time ive had the sw dob it rips the s out of the konus as far as image quality is concerned.

did i get a dud konus or something? if it can be beeten in image quality by a 150p?

Archived