Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Trying to find venus

Without a goto system I imagine it would be quite difficult and possibly dangerous. I find it by aligning on the Sun, either with a proper solar filter on the front of the scope or with a cap on the scope and using the finder to project an image. Then use the goto to find Venus. It may be possible to do something similar but instead of goto use the setting circles if your scope is polar mounted.

Venus is currently on the far side of the Sun and is ~30 deg from the Sun and showing 86% phase. It is quite small to observe. This would not be the best time to start viewing Venus as it is getting closer (in the sky) to the Sun.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I am fully aware of the risks involved, but I am not putting my scope anywhere near the sun! I am also wearing sunglasses when looking through the eyepiece as this helps to reduce the glare bright sky.

I will have to buy some solar film and have a go at some sun viewing instead then, lol.

Thanks,

Richard.

Archived