Some advice on my first viewing please.

Hi, i finally got to use my skywatcher explorer 150 last night for the first time, i had my first view of saturn which was impressive but yet very small in the eyepiece, i was using a 2x barlow and a 10 mm. Does anyone have any suggestions for me so that i can get a bigger more clearer viewing. Any advice would be appreciated.

The higher you go in magnification the better the ep quality needs to be (and the higher the price). I get mine second hand now - if kept in good condition there's not a lot can go wrong with ep's.

The SW 10mm is a very basic ep and aweful to use with a barlow (the supplied barlow isn't up to much either). £80 on a Celestron Ultima 2x or Orion Shorty 2x (same ep's) would be money well spent - get 'em for £40-£50 s/h).

The Hyperion zoom will make that scope sing - £100-£120 s/h for a Mk2 - it did wonders for my 150P EQ3-2 and still a regularly used ep in my kit. It's 5 quality ep's in one and much better than any ep kit imho. There are other sinlge ep's in the £40-£50 range that will do wonders too I like the Meade wide angle ones - Hope that helps :)

I recently bought a x5 Barlow and it has made a massive differance to my observing. well worth £50+.

Also using a 10mm with a X2 Barlow may be pushing the max on the magnification for the 150, as you will start to get a blured view. I use a x5Barlow with a 20mm and get great views.

If the Barlow is the standard SW issue then they are not best you could be using.

Get your 50 posts here and then have a look at the For Sale section for some EP and Barlow Bargains

Thanks for the advice, the hyperion zoom sounds very good, bit pricey but probably worth it, thanks again.

It's not so expensive when you think it can take the place of 3-4 eyepieces :)

Archived