SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

15x70s or 72/80 Megrez??

Hi all

I bought a pair of excellent 15x70s (Helios Apollo) and really like them but cannot get the thought of a small refractor out of my mind as a travel scope / quick peek grab and go.

I currently use my 15x70s (weight about 2.5kgs) on my sturdy monopod and would hope to do so with a small refractor.

It's really a choice of either or as I have to sell something (probably the Bins but possibly my 35mm Panoptic - replaced with a 26mm Nagler).

I have in mind maybe the 80mm f5 Star Travel or maybe a 72mm/80mm f5 Megrez or similar as these just look so compact and ooze quality. My aim would be wide field views from dark sites on hols with minimal room taken up. It would need to be hand luggage in a plane.

Would anyone have any comments on the above options in terms of quality/usability etc and any recoommendations re a suitable scope - or should I just keep my bins?

cheers

Shane

Hi Shane, for portability and quick looks 15 x 70s are tough to beat, but I do

think a small refractor is better. Even my ST90 achro (90mm/500mm focal length)

is very satisfying to use, especially under a good sky, as unlike bins the magnification

can be changed. I can get down to a 5 deg fov, and it's good up to about 60/70x,

so much more versatile than bins. With an O111 filter, both sides of the Veil SNR in

the same view is great.

If it was an apo, then its versalility would be greater, as it would hold quality at a

higher mag. However, a monopod would not suffice of course.

HTH, Ed.

I had that thought a couple of weeks ago & when one came up for

sale couldnt stop myself sending a PM if you think you could sell

the 35mm pan & not miss it :eek: a pair of 15x70 bins are great to

have ive got the revelation pair are yours the same ones that FLO

sells they look top class those binos :)

My reaction is that the refractor is more versatile having interchangeable eyepieces giving a wide range of magnifications and as wide apparent field of view as you can afford. Such a scope is also suitable with the right accessories for solar viewing and terrestrial use.

hi Kris,

Yes, the bins are really good quality. They are the ones on FLO and if I can sell the Pan - just added the ad - then I should possibly keep them. But may even sell them in due course - may have to fund a tripod too although if I can stick to wide field (the whole idea of the bins/small frac) then I may get away with the monopod, which I'd prefer.

I like the idea of a small refractor and the changes in magnification etc that offers. I have a 26mm Nagler now so won't miss the 35 Pan too much :)

Archived