NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Ok I have rumaged through most of the threads on this site and I have not found one that really concerns my question.

I have an old Canon Rebel GII 35mm film camera and I would like to take some pictures of some of the closer objects such as the moon and what not through a friends 8" dob. Can this be achieved and what spec's should I pay attention to in order to make this happen if it is possible.

Although you may get away with the moon, it is pretty bright you are in reality not going to manage anything much on anything else.

A film DSLR will have to track pretty accurately, there is no software to take care of any minor inaccuracies.

Add to that that a dob is not an instrument for astrophotography and you are really on the wrong track.

Sorry but the basics are that you need a scope on an equitorial mount and the mount has to have motors to track what is being imaged and the imaging has to done via digital media in order to use the software that is desinged for the purpoae.

I agree with Capricorn i.e. you could get results from the moon as it is "reasonably" slow in motion and your camera speed will be fast. However you may encounter problems with other ojects as tracking is of prime importance. It would be a shame to try and after the cost of developing and printing find you have not the results you expected. I have found that using my DSLR ( I also have the Canon A1 but dont use it now) I bracket the exposures and then find out some of my shots were not of much use. I can only recommend the use of a DSLR as it saves a lot being able to see within minutes your results. Sorry if I have not been too positive.

Neil

You can make a Barn Door Mount, and use a SLR with lenses of different focal lengths to image the Milky Way, and clusters and nebula that reside there.

If the device is made accurately enough, it's possible to get some good results. You will be better using faster lenses, as the tangential errors in the conventional mechanism will limit exposure times.

Ron.

Archived