Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

no focus with x2 barlow

hi all was out having a go at the moon last night and tried to get close with the barlow . now i was on the moon could see with webcam i had the motor running so she was still in view. but with the barlow nothing

it looked like the camera was pointing at a clear part of the sky. i have a revelation barlow that came witht the ep kit not sure how good it is but works with regular ep's.

it also did the same thing with saturn now i just collimated my scope and could see saturns rings tho not that great was an improvement on before. i have heard mention of back focus could this be it altho i am not sure how to do this. did a search but no luck

thanks star

Hi star,

Well, I'd say there was a couple of possibilities why you could no longer see your target...

1) The barlow moves the focal point further out; you will need to adjust focus quite a lot (move focuser out)

2) Your field of view will be twice as small, so the target may not have been in view any more. Could you see anything (i.e. stars)?

Aligning the finder with the main tube using an eyepiece of 8mm-10mm may help. Also try doing the same with a barlow in the light train. Then when you pop the barlow in you'll know the target isn't out of the fov :)

Archived