Welcome to Stargazers Lounge
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

ICX424 and ICX414 CCDs

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

angusb1

angusb1

Proto Star

• Advanced Members
  • 943 posts
Has anyone had any experience of modding a toucam with the icx424 or icx414 ccds? I'm considering the options to get myself a guide cam as cheap as possible. I have a spc900 which I will be using for lunar/planetary imaging and on which I am going to do the long exposure mod anyway but from what I have been able to find out this will not make a good guide cam. So I am now trying to work out whether it will be better to get one of the cheaper guide cams like a QHY5 second hand, or whether modding my spc900 with an icx414 would be much cheaper.

So my question is does anyone know where I could get a price for an icx414 and icx424 ccd?

Once I have a price for each I can work out if its worth the hassle of doing the soldering or not. I only want to use it for guiding as I have a DSLR for taking long exposures of DSOs with.

Edited by angusb1, 03 June 2010 - 08:52 AM.

"Some scientists find, or so it seems, that they get their best ideas when smoking; others by drinking coffee or whisky. Thus there is no reason why I should not admit that some may get their ideas by observing, or by repeating observations." Karl Popper

Cornelius Varley

Cornelius Varley

Main Sequence

• Moderators
  • 5,124 posts
Bern at ModernAstronomy might be able to help you out with your CCD.

Peter

Peter

My Gallery

Fullsize images on Astrobin

Cornelius Varley on Wikipedia

HEQ5 Pro / ADM saddle upgrade, IM603, Skywatcher Skymax 150+JMI EventHorizon motorised crayford, Meade Series 5000 80 APO, etx105 ota, ST80, Heritage 130P
CG4 with EQ3-2 Synscan, AZ4 (steel legs). DMK21, QHY5v, Pentax 12x50, eyepieces, filters etc etc. some other stuff in big boxes.

jgs001

jgs001

Hyper Giant

• Global Mods
  • 16,497 posts
I can't help with any modding, but...

Sony Image Sensor ICX424AL 424AL6 from Cognex Cameras on eBay (end time 28-Jun-10 16:04:06 BST)
John

Celestron 80ED, Konus Vista 80s, GSO 6" RC

yesyes

yesyes

Brown Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 2,833 posts
Oh, this could get interesting... I was going to try out my unmodded SPC900 as a guide cam soon. If that doesn't work out and that ICX424 sensor works a lot better, then that might be a good solution for a few quid and a bit of solder...

Have you tried guiding with an unmodded SPC900 already? Did that not work out?
Chris

Scope: Orion Optics UK SPX 250 F4.8 1/10PV (10" Newtonian) on CG5-GT mount
Observatory build in progress: http://stargazerslou...tory-the-build/

jgs001

jgs001

Hyper Giant

• Global Mods
  • 16,497 posts
Something I did read, is that you need a socket adapter thingy to mount the replacement chip in... I found it...

12 Dimensional String - SC4 Webcam
John

Celestron 80ED, Konus Vista 80s, GSO 6" RC

riklaunim

riklaunim

Brown Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 2,913 posts
Nowadays ICX618 is much better for webcam hacks :D Much better sensitivity.

Equipment: SCT C14 * TSAPO65Q * ASI120MM * Atik 314L+ * and more :)

My astro website

yesyes

yesyes

Brown Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 2,833 posts
Ahww.. that looks too dirty. I though it would be a straight swap...
Chris

riklaunim

riklaunim

Brown Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 2,913 posts
Just look at DSI I as a guider (very cheap), or look for Imaging Source D*K cameras hitting second hand market in upcoming weeks/months :D

Equipment: SCT C14 * TSAPO65Q * ASI120MM * Atik 314L+ * and more :)

My astro website

Glider

Glider

Sub Dwarf

• Beyond The Event Horizon
  • 1,539 posts
My SPC900 works perfectly OK on my 9x50 finderguider. I've made the LX mod but have never needed to turn it on.

However, considering the prices webcams are going for, and then you have to do more or less of a modification to them, I can see a second hand Meade DSI I would give a more compact package.

I've seen the DSI I going for the same money as SPC900's.
--
Regards

yesyes

yesyes

Brown Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 2,833 posts
Nice. That's what I wanted to hear. ;-) I think it was even you who suggested to guide with a SPC900 and PHD, no?

I already have the SPC900, used it for Moon and planetary imaging. So I would be happy if I could put it to use a a guide cam as well as keep imaging with it.

I'll just need to try this out I guess. I don't need to buy anything further for that, so it's just a matter of trying it out and see...
Chris

Glider

Glider

Sub Dwarf

• Beyond The Event Horizon
  • 1,539 posts
It probably was me.

I just Googled "Celestron C8-NGT 8" Newtonian" and the pic it found looked like it had the same sort of finder as my Skywatcher. Just try unscrewing the whole eyepiece end and stick your webcam up the end when pointing at some stars. If it works a 2" to 1.25" adaptor off Astroboot should do you as a proper holder.

If you need more infocus you can take the objective off and remove the locking ring off the tube, then the objective gets another 5mm of thread to screw down onto. Works for me!
--
Regards

yesyes

yesyes

Brown Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 2,833 posts
Right, so you guide through the finder? I bought a 60x700mm refractor off AstroBoot for £20 that I was planning to use for guiding. I also bought a 50mm finder with 1.25" fitting and diagonal. The one that came with a collimation cage. That should also work as a guide scope with the webcam 1.25" nosepiece.

Oh, and sorry for being a bit off-topic... ;-)
Chris

yesyes

yesyes

Brown Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 2,833 posts
Forgot to mention, the C8-N is the same OTA as the Skywatcher Explorer 200P, incl the finder.
Chris

angusb1

angusb1

Proto Star

• Advanced Members
  • 943 posts
Well this has turned out to be a very useful thread for me. I think I'll not bother modding my spc900 and see if I can use it as a guidecam with the finder scope.
"Some scientists find, or so it seems, that they get their best ideas when smoking; others by drinking coffee or whisky. Thus there is no reason why I should not admit that some may get their ideas by observing, or by repeating observations." Karl Popper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users