NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

setting up first time

Guys, this is a real newbie question.  I have tried to look for a previous post but found nothing.  Im sure this would have been covered elsewhere but I couldn't find it.

Im about to receive my first scope and am a little anxious about setting up the equatorial mount.   Once I set the mount up in the garden do I need then to set it back up again for another session on a different day.  Is it possible to mark the ground where the tripod sits and would that be sufficient for viewing.

Or do you guys follow the same procedure night after night?

Once again sorry to bring up something that probably has been answered on numerous occasions.

Tony

I have marked a point on the mass (weight)  bar with insulating tape as to where the weights should be to achive balance and a small mark on the dovetail and mount head for the correct positioning (forward and aft) for the OTA so that balance is achieved.

If you are going onto imaging then maybe a second set of marks & tapes to allow for the added weight of a camera and gubbins.

As I set up on grass I have no marker so I use a combined compass and level to get latitiude , direction and ground level correct.

I was tracking the conjuction on my AVX mount and using this method everything stayed within the FOV for 2 hours.

Hello Tony,

To help speedy setting up, I have clamped a stainless jubilee-type clip to the balance bar, just place the weights up to the clip.

The equatorial mount is fine when you are used to it, in my opinion. You need to be something of a contortionist sometimes, but you get used to it.

Good luck.

Thanks guys for all the advice. One further thing if I may.. Can I set up during the day? My garden position which is south facing and will always restrict my view of the pole star anyway.

Thanks

Of course you can.

Point the mount north (use a compass) and set your latitude to whatever it is from where you observe.

Just enjoy and have fun. You will learn what meeds to be refined as you go along. Its a learning curve.

More than "possible" it's actually recommended to set up in daylight for the first time and get the finder aligned with the main tube on a stationary object in the distance. It makes everything an awful lot easier for a beginner than trying to set up in the pitch dark of night.

South facing is excellent - you're well placed to see all the action as the planets rise and set from east to west. The best time to view an object is when it's high in the sky and your looking through less atmosphere than towards the horizon. :)

Thanks once again.  My Skywatcher 200mm arriving Monday (so I'm told) looks like I'll be spending my nights putting the thing together especially seeing the wife is away for a week.  Hoping for clear sky's.   :smiley:

Great choice of scope, won't take you long to setup. Daytime is far better for getting to know your mount and aligning the finder. And when the  air turns blue, your better half is not around.. :smiley:

Archived