SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sunday Sun

Pig

I have been getting some pretty decent views in between the clouds this afternoon, there is a fairly large spike in the 12 O'clock position at the moment and I am sure it is part of a huge filaprom, and I mean huge, that is extending quite a way southward toward the centre. Some wonderful surface detail is also surrounding the spots around the 7 O'clock position.

I have also been experimenting with the end of the Tal 2 x Barlow (1.4) and the Quark, I think that I am just extending my focal length from 500 to 700mm thus increasing the magnification with the same eyepiece. The results are quite pleasant and this has opened a new door for shorter focal length fracs :laugh:. I wouldn't say the detail / contrast is any better or worse than without the Barlow its just bigger. A tad more work to be done I think  :laugh:

Yes Mark it is very 3D like, the spike on the limb gives a real sense of just how large it is as a whole. I also have the wedge in the Esprit, the dual mount really gives some variety, its simplicity just swapping the Quark and wedge betwixt the scopes then choosing which one to look through. I believe having four options is sending me cockeyed  :grin:

Nice report, Shaun :) I was so happy to see some clear arrive, at last :shocked: The filaprom sent a shiver down my spine, having had a good view of it while it was a prom I could sort of see it with more 3D depth having had a good sense of its height and shape.

I also enjoyed the active regions over the other side, quite a busy area of the sun and a small but neat little L-shaped prom near them, and a bunch of filaments stringing together behind them. Not so many huge proms today but I enjoyed having a look at the smaller ones.

Luke, the sun is always worth a look in, be it proms or the surface details there always seems to be something happening :laugh:

The Moon is out now so I am going to have an early session whilst its nice and high and before it gets too chilly :cool:

Archived