Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Orion variable polarizing filter

I must disagree. I use the Orion variable-polarizer filters in my 80mm F5 ST80. And my other scopes as well. They work flawlessly. Adjustable from 40% - 3% transmission, they are perfect for the Moon. As well as great on Venus and Jupiter. And any other bright sources out there.

Clear & High-Contrast Skies,

Dave

When it comes to filters for planetary and lunar work, you'll find there's essentially two camps: those who like them and those who don't. I tend to fall in the latter category.

I've never got on with Moon filters and have never found occassion to use my polariser on the Moon, not even in the 10". I tend to prefer viewing without filters but have found Baader's Neodymium sometimes effective on the Moon and also helpful at times on Jupiter.

I'm gonna give the filter a shot, I recently bought a 2x barlow and I am enjoying the views! I have the standard issue 17mm, and 6mm however, it was great knowing they can convert into 8.5 mm and 3mm eyepieces! I figured that regardless of the aperture size, bright objects will look bright, why not dim them a little bit to try to bring contrast In them?

Speaking of eyepieces , it sucks I can't go any lower than 3mm since I probably won't get a good resolution if close to maxing out the telescopes magnification. is that how it works for telescopes? There is technically magnification that will be untouched ? Unable to push its boundaries ?

: Qualia When it comes to filters for planetary and lunar work, you'll find there's essentially two camps: those who like them and those who don't. I tend to fall in the latter category.

I've never got on with Moon filters and have never found occassion to use my polariser on the Moon, not even in the 10". I tend to prefer viewing without filters but have found Baader's Neodymium sometimes effective on the Moon and also helpful at times on Jupiter.

Thanks for the tips!

As you increase magnification, you will dim the object and start to lose detail - especially on planets. At 3mm you'd have 152X from your scope as it's 114mm F/4 optics. That's about as far as I'd try for on such. And then only on nights with very good seeing. And you won't find many eyepieces that offer 3mm FL out there. Either the eye-relief basically vanishes, or image disortions such as kidney-beaning and vignetting precludes such.

Best Wishes,

Dave

Speaking of eyepieces , it sucks I can't go any lower than 3mm since I probably won't get a good resolution if close to maxing out the telescopes magnification. is that how it works for telescopes? There is technically magnification that will be untouched ? Unable to push its boundaries ?

Magnification is not what scopes are about, what you want is quality clear concise views of a planet, the optimum magnification for any planet is the one that matches your aperture, so in the case of a 100mm scope you're talikng about 100x magnification, for example.

On the question of filters, I prefer to use them on the Moon as the brightness detracts from the surface detail in my eyes.  On Jupiter it is certainly not any help in my opinion and will not bring out any further detail, it also will supress the colours in the equatorial belts.  For Jupiter I have the TV Planetary filter which works incredibly well, albeit a little on the expensive side for many.

Archived