NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Nexstar 130 / skywatcher 130 or skymax 127 goto

I have been looking at three telescopes, the Celestron Nexstar 130, the Skywatcher 130P and the Skywatcher Skymax 127, all with goto mounts. 

I understand the skymax 127 is better for planets and the two Newtonians are better for DSO, I'd like to do a mix of both and with the possibility of some limited photography, I understand none of these scopes have an EQ mount, but I was reading the Nexstar 130 goto system has settings for an EQ mount so can be used with a wedge. 

Is there much difference between the Skywatcher 130 and Nexstar 130 goto systems? They are all made in the same factory? 

Would one of these telescopes be a good all round scope capable of both planets and DSO as well as a little bit of photography?

There will be no real difference in them for viewing DSO's, the planetary aspect is that the 127 has a long focal length and this is more capable of higher magnifications and planets are bright enough that higher magnification is usable. In reality you are talking of a 3mm difference in diameter, so they collect almost exactly the same amount of light.

A wedge sounds good but they are expensive, you will likely find an EQ mount not much more costly. It is also a big chunk so whatever mount may be carrying too much weight. Simply the Alt/Az mount was designed for the scope and the drive mechanism, not for the scope, drive mechanism and a few pounds of wedge.

I do not know the 130, it may be a bird-jones design - usually 1000mm focal length and a tube of 450mm, if so avoid it.

The 130P should be good, the 127 is also good.

As said all the same aperture so depending on the magnification will show similar.

Photography is worse.

Sticking a DSLR on any is really adding too much weight and if Alt/Az mounts then the mount is no use for long exposure imaging, Adding a webcam is possible however that means planets and the moon not DSO's.

Best option might be the 127 and use it for visual and planetary imaging. If DSO imaging is what you want then seriously consider a set up that is intended for that which is EQ mount, motors/goto, small fast scope. You cannot have everything

The celestron has better software apparently than sky watcher, I chose the 127 mak over the 130 newts because I haven't a clue about collimating and the long focal length made it better for shooting the moon or Jupiter with a webcam. The celestron can do a 3 stat align where you don't even need to know the stars, not sure the sw mount can do that.

I have the Skywatcher 130p alt\az Goto and the mount can do 2 types of alignment. 1, Brightest star  or  2, Two star alignment. I have never tried the brightest star alignment only the two star alignment which is straight forward and works well.

Archived