Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My first M42 Orion Nebula

Jonk

On Friday last week there was a lovely clear sky, so as part of my learning process I was out again in the back garden trying to learn more about what I'm trying to achieve.

I managed to get a decent polar alignment for the first time by drift aligning using my DSLR on live view mode via ATP (Astro Photography Tool).

After about an hour of doing this using a Southern star and Eastern star (bearing in mind it's the first time I've tried it), and as I was running out of time (had work the next day d'oh!), I decided rather than to try M31 (it was above the house by now and nearer the street lights), I decided to try Orion's belt as it appeared to be in a darker part of the sky and quite high by now.

After the effort I wanted something failry simple to have a go at.

Anyway, long story short, I was able to get 6 x 300s exposures at iso1600. 3 were binned as I think the wind caught the scope.

I also did a single 60s as a first test, which I used as a luminosity layer / core detail. Not sure if this is the correct way to do it, but it looked ok to me!

Here's the result - my first ever drift aligned image, and first Nebula.

Just a shame I could only get 15 mins to stack and play with, but as I first attempt I'm pleased. Nowhere near as good as some I've seen on here but hey, at least I was pointing at the right thing!

M42 STACKED 15M0S ISO1600 60s LUMINOSITY OVERLAY

That's way better than my first M42... :) The layering seems to have worked ok...

I recently dug out an posted my first DSO shots (M57 although it was hard to tell from them )  I should do the same for my M42... Congrats on the Drift alignment I am ashamed to say I have never had a go at it... :(

Peter...

Thanks - drift alingment is fairly easy with a decent camera. Doing it by eye was pretty tough but doable.

My advice, it's well worth it.

I would like to think I've moved from novice to beginner...there's a long way to go.

Archived