Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC 246 - The Skull Nebula

John

First time I've observed this nice planetary nebula in Cetus. Rather low and above houses where I'm observing from so I needed the O-III filter to pull the faint mottled disk of the nebula out of the background sky with my 12" dob. Quite a large vaguely circular patch of nebulosity with clear contrast variations across it and has a scattering of faint stars superimposed on it. I would think that this would be a straightforward and rather splendid opbject were it to be positioned high in the sky but I found it a little challenging even with the 12" this evening.

Nice to see something new though and nice to be under a clear sky again :smiley:

I had a look for it last night with a 5", from the middle of town. Yup, I saw nothing - but I was in the area, having just had a gander at Uranus. I think I'll try again with the 10" from somewhere dark, if I get an evening to try that.

• 4 weeks later...

I got a decent view of NGC 246 from my darkish-sky site in the Lake District in September. My description is as follows:

Very large but pretty faint. Although this planetary nebula has a magnitude of 10.9, it appears very dim because of its low altitude (24 degrees at the time of observation). Three stars were seen to be involved. It appears as an oval disc, elongated roughly N-S with uncertain edges. A darker patch could be seen near the middle. The nebula was barely visible without the OIII filter, the stars were barely visible with.

Worth seeking out if you've got dark skies and a reasonable southern horizon. Bit of a duffer if you've not. I wouldn't attempt it from home.

post-39585-0-92920400-1417103115_thumb.j

First time I've observed this nice planetary nebula in Cetus. Rather low and above houses where I'm observing from so I needed the O-III filter to pull the faint mottled disk of the nebula out of the background sky with my 12" dob. Quite a large vaguely circular patch of nebulosity with clear contrast variations across it and has a scattering of faint stars superimposed on it. I would think that this would be a straightforward and rather splendid opbject were it to be positioned high in the sky but I found it a little challenging even with the 12" this evening.

Nice to see something new though and nice to be under a clear sky again :smiley:

Thanks John, this looks like an excellent first target for the OIII that arrived this morning.  I will give it go tonight if the fog stays away - unlikely :sad:

Archived