SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New Mount

rcklindave

Hello Guys

I've been lurking in the shadows of this forum, and I feel its the best one out here.

I've been seriously bitten by the astrophotography bug, and i'm in the market for a new mount.

requirements;

1 goto I have been into astronomy since I was 11 back in the 60's and think goto is almost magical.

2 not more than $2,000 in cost

3 portable since I live in the city and travel to a dark site.

4 supportable, must be from a company that supports it's products.

I think I have narrowed my choices down to the Atlas AZ-EG6 or just the plane EQ6 the AZ-EQ6 has a little more capacity and weighs less, I was just wondering if it has the same motors and internal gears as the EQ6.

Well Thanks fro reading my ramblings..

Dave

P.S. i'm attaching my first attempt at andromedia

12x300 lights dithered and no darks or flats

post-37076-0-84288400-1414166202_thumb.j

Welcome to SGl  like sara I was going to suggest the sirius which is a fair bit more portable than the atlas  or the celestron vx  is getting good reviews as is the ioptron cem25 which is the most portable of all of them. The Atlas is certainly tried and tested  but it really depends on  what load you intend to put upon it and how portable it needs to be. If portability is your main concern go for one of the smaller mounts mentioned. If you need the larger  load then it has to be the atlas the most important thing is that your mount supports adequately everything you are going to put on it.

That's what I was thinking the HEQ5 is just a little too light for me i'm hoping to purchase a mount that will last me as long as I need it too, Currently I have a CGEM and while it works most of the time, sometimes it just goes crazy.. and i'm a little suspicious when I have to factory reset it almost everytime I take it out. so yes the AZ-EQ6 is on my short list

Dave

Archived