Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Suggest colourful doubles!

szymon

Can anyone suggest some double-stars for me to find which will have an obvious contrasting colour in an 80mm f/11 refractor?  I want to show my son something in the sky where the colour difference is clear and obvious, so he can say 'wow that one is red and that one green' or the like.  Heck, I want to see something like that myself :-).  I've been doing a little digging and following 'turn left at orion', but haven't yet found anything with that 'wow' factor.  Is my scope simply not capable of seeing such a thing with reasonable colour?

Thanks,

-simon

Hi,

The obvious showcase coloured double is Albireo in Cygnus, and very easy to find. It's part of the Northern Cross asterism and right at the opposite end of the cross to Deneb, , alpha Cygni, which is  the very bright star at the "top" of the cross. A superb double star with golden/blue-green components..

Dave

Hi,

The obvious showcase coloured double is Albireo in Cygnus, and very easy to find. It's part of the Northern Cross asterism and right at the opposite end of the cross to Deneb, , alpha Cygni, which is the very bright star at the "top" of the cross. A superb double star with golden/blue-green components..

Dave

Great, thanks, I will look out for it tonight (assuming the clouds go away).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I completed a double star project over the course of one year and realised that colour contrasted were the ones I enjoyed most. I wrote an article on my astro-website listing my top 35. Link below.

http://alpha-lyrae.co.uk/2013/11/13/prettiest-colour-contrasted-double-stars/

Clear Skies,

What a wonderful article, just what I was looking for! Thanks!

Actually Ronin the word doc would be great, my mount is goto and can do SAO numbers (and I recently finally worked out how to get the goto working properly!). Can you make the doc available as an attachment here perhaps?

Err, did it work?

Never checked it, wish Drag and Drop was available.

Think someone posted it on SGL some time back and I liked it for the size, still have not bookmarked the original, I search for "coloured double stars" and look for DVAA, Delaware Valley Astronomy Assn.

I did send this to them as it was theirs originally and all I did was add the SAO references, not many named ones and my little goto takes SAO references. Think a couple are empty, couldn't locate an SAO for them.

Archived