Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Revamping a SkyWatcher 17Ah powertank to 22Ah?

My SkyWatcher 17Ah powertank suffered a complete discharge at some point, and although I have been able to resuscitate the battery with an external charger, it clearly does not have the capacity it used to have. I could just ditch it and build something with a bigger battery, but I do find the format handy for transportation, and the built-in 9V power supply is handy for my Vixen mount. I gather the battery used in these packs is the Yuasa NPC17-12 or compatible, and I have found that replacement batteries from some astro channels are almost as expensive as a new powertank.

Some searching brought to light  a new model from Yuasa: the YPC22-12. Same size and weight, and according to the manufacturer a replacement for the NPC17-12, but with 5Ah more capacity. Given the price listed here, it seems like a good deal. I have seen some replacements with higher capacity (18-19 Ah typically) offered, but this seems the best deal. Any reason this should not work?

I too had a dead battery in my portable power pack, an 18Va version, so got an Yuasa YPC22-12 from Battery Megastore (http://www.batteryme...CFcuWtAodqSsAEA) for £38.75, with delivery included, instead of the £45 list.

Works fine, appart from recharging taking a tad longer

Huw

Thanks for that information. I will certainly order one now

The other UK supplier did not answer my email requesting information on shipping outside the UK. I have now ordered a compatible 22Ah battery from a supplier in Germany. The package will arrive next week, I am told.

I opened up the powertank and there is clearly a problem with the old battery, as can be seen from corrosion marks on the negative pole. High time for a replacement.

Archived