NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Generating Selective Galaxy or Nebula Masks in Pixinsight

I was planning an evening of RGB imaging on M106 but it would appear the Atlantic gulf stream has other ideas. So following a thread with Olly and a couple of others where we were discussing Pixinsight, Photoshop and some of the Pixinsight tools I thought I'd write up the theory behind one of the most important skills to have available when processing in Pixinsight.

If you strive, like me, to try and avoid the commonly associated "over processed" wavelets look often hurled at Pixinsight users it is key that when you are using some of the powerful processing tools in PI you can apply them where you need them and not where you don't, controlling the strength of the look within your image.

If you are interested please have a read through my short article on generating protective masks which isolate areas of interest such as galaxy or nebula structure from the stars and background for selective processing in PI.

https://cloudedout.squarespace.com/blog/2014/3/7/aht1rx0bqcy82goitww2otq5g6x7t2

I would also like to point out this is not my technique, but was in fact developed by Gerald Wechselberger  (oldwexi on the PI forum), his website can be found at http://www.werbeagentur.org/oldwexi/index.html

Thanks for looking :)

You're more than welcome, I'm glad it was of use.

I watched the video by oldwexi the other day but it was way over my head, rnow I am trying your method on a capture of M51 that  I did tonight through haze and with my friend the Moon watching over me.

Regards,

A.G

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived