Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

TS Photoline 130 f/5.2 -- first impressions

So folks, after having returned a TS 102 with Ricacrdi reducer simply because it wasn't even screwed together properly, I stumbled upon a almost unused 130 with Riccardi reducer. Since it was used, and hence tried out, I figured I'd go for it. Here are some initial notes:

1. The adapter that TS has produced for the Riccardi reducer has a design flaw. One of the reasons for my returning the 102 was that the thread of the adapter going into the reducer was too long. The adapter thus does not "bottom" in the reducer, so the flange never makes contact. In essence, this means that there is no guarantee for the reducer being aligned with the optical axis of the scope. Well, same thing with the 130 delivery; the adapter does not screw all the way in to the flange.
  2. Focuser adjustment to the optical tube is not very good. Grub screws into a slanted surface (aluminium) means the screws scratch the metal rather than forcing it inward.
  3. The focuser is quite good, albeit a Crayford (yecch!). The steel axis is at least 6 mm thick, which is good. The contact surface is steel, also good. I actually have high hopes for the focuser.
  4. Optics look good on first inspection. Collimation is so-so with about 1.5mm offset from true glass center measured with a Hotech laser. It may be the draw tube, it may be the focuser housing not being properly aligned. Some small dust specks between the glass-pieces (QC anyone?)
  5. It is a beast ;) Don't mind that.

What to do...

• Change focuser to tube grub screws to stiff nylon and give it a try.
  • Attempt to get draw tube or focuser truly centered
  • Mount motor for focuser (done)
  • Grind down adapter

Here's the scope on my NEQ6 just for size and overview. Big thing indeed!

TS130-01_800.jpg

The reducer looks like this in the end that the adapter goes into:

TS130-03_800.jpg

The adapter, that goes in there, narrowest part, looks like this in profile:

TS130-02_800.jpg

The net result of screwing this adapter into the reducer gives this phenomenon; it doesn't reach the flange and is thus not centered properly. There is about 0.1 mm of difference around the thing. Not good. And this they ship and have shipped for a long time. Incredible! Inexcusable! Quality control? Nope!

TS130-04_800.jpg

I'll go ahead and fix the items listed above and I am sure it will be a great scope!

One problem... Weather...

post-9361-0-78481600-1391769240_thumb.jp

All the best for now,

Per

Either face it off in a lathe or as you say, use a linisher to grind it off. It won't be QC so much as the fact they have made 1000's of them and they would rather keep sending them out until the stocks gone rather than junk them. Cynical I call it, they will be fully aware of the issue.

ChrisH

I fixed it. Mounted an extension tube in a hole-saw assembly and screwed the adapter onto that. Put the hand drill in a stand and rotated the adapter while grinding with a Dremel. Haha!

This wil lbe a dynamite scope!

/per

The role is simple; gather photons. I have a Tak106/GM2000HPS in Provence - weather has been Rubbish there for the past few weeks - will have a GM1000HPS with "a scope" in the Stockholm Archipelago in a few months time, and will need something for my NEQ6 on the balcony. I now have three scopes; I just don't know which to put where...

Oh, I don't do visual and don't own an eyepiece.

As for QC... Well, for me it is a two out of two with TS. Both scopes suffered from the same deficiencies. It all comes down to quality control, doesn't it? I am, being a fixer of things, going to sort it out, but I do not feel comfortable with "helping" the supplier out with his QC.

/per

Hi Per

I have the small Riccardi on my TS115.  Is yours the smaller or larger? The TS adapter did fit flush though, no help to you I know.  The retaining ring inset into the camera-side of the reducer is fully screwed in, i.e. bottoming out against the final element of the Reducer?  Just a thought, but I guessed you've checked.  Also tried slackening off the retaining ring and gently shaking the whole unit to ensure the 3 individual elements are fully seated?

I have purchased the 3" Feather Touch for my 115mm.  I found I couldn't achieve orthogonality, no matter how I adjusted the 3 grub screws on the dovetail ring attaching the Crayford to the OTA (I used a tilt adjuster to good effect in the end).  The weight of the reducer definitely caused some droop.  I hope you fare better than me.  The FT is a thing of beauty though!

I'm interested in your progress, as I'll have funds for a larger apo in a few months, even perhaps a premium Tak or WO.  Not sure yet whether I'll keep my MN190, I do like the relative simplicity of a refractor.

Clear skies.

Barry

Archived