Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My dew heater controller

jason.p

This is my dew heater controller I made up using the plan on the Blackwater Skies plan posted here a few weeks ago.

http://www.blackwaterskies.co.uk/2013/05/a-cheap-multi-channel-dew-heater.html

I've made it three ports for the loom Rusty Split sent me (thanks again Alan). One for the primary, one for the secondary and one for the finder. Can someone please advise me on the size of fuse to fit. I stuck a 0.5amp in and it popped!

Posted Image

The whole thing so far has cost around a tenner.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

I used the same chinese dimmers for my battery dist box, great value for money. Only minor profblem is RFI, they do sing a bit.

Fusing will depend upon heaters. I'm guessing all 3 heaters add up to 2.5-3 amps (1.5 secondary, 0.5 primary and 0.5 finder), so i'd use s 3 or 4 amp fuse.

I made up a 4 channel one last year & use a 5 amp fuse although I've never used all 4 channels as yet. I too like the way you mounted the unit as all I did with mine is have a loop of wire & hang it over one of the AZ bolts so might change it to a similar method to yourself.

181371_10151247908688434_1481947387_n.jp

1374955_10151734106583434_31373109_n.jpg

Thanks for replies. I don't know the "rating" of the tapes, and I used my TAL2 transformer/powerpack which gives out 12-14v AC. I only just realised it wasn't DC! It still seems to work, but perhaps I should sort out a 12v DC power supply. Originally I tested it out on an old car battery. Can anyone tell me if using the AC supply would damage the setup, or cause any other problems.

Thanks

Jason

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

Running AC through a DC circuit will kill those PWM dimmers in no time as current will be flowing in both directions around the circuit, you need a rectifier. I'd stick to using a 12v car battery for now. As for the heaters, divide the supply voltage by their measured resistance e.g 12/x for amps.

Archived