Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Web Cam Choice

Pig

Hiya guys,

What is the best web can i can get for my Nexstar 6SE and what is the difference between CMOS and CCD ?

I like the sound of the starlight Xpress but they seem to be loads of cash and are way more than i want to pay :Envy:

Thank you. :smiley:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm guessing you'd like this for planetary/lunar/solar imaging. Given that the options range from a few pounds to quite a few hundred pounds with a wide variation in quality, it may be easiest to start from the point of how much you feel you want to spend.

James

James i would rather spend a few hundred and get decent images than a hundred pound and get poor images

From what I have been reading I am limited by my goto mount, but I am not to sure about that.

I have a fairly fast PC that has usb 2/3 ports and a single HDMI port so software should not be a problem.

Thank you :smiley:

Well, there's the ASI120MC (or MM if you want to go mono, but the cost increases as you need to factor filters and wheels into the equation there). The DFK21AU04 is the same sensor as the SPC900 and works well, or there's the 618 version DFK21 which is supposed to be good. Someone has been posting images from one of the QHY cameras recently that look pretty good I think, but off the top of my head I can't recall who. There was also a post last week about another camera I'd not heard of based around the same sensor as the SPC900. I'll see if I can find that again. The ASI cameras are producing some good results, but I don't think it's unfair to say that they're not as mature as some of the other designs yet. The DFK cameras are tried and tested, but at the quite expensive end of the market. At the really expensive end there's stuff like the Point Grey Flea 3. There are others that Piotr (rikulanim) seems to know a fair bit about, but they don't seem to have great availability in the UK.

Ideally I think you need a combination of a good sensor, good firmware and good drivers. There seem to be a few cameras built around good sensors that are let down by the firmware/driver side. I'd say it's always worth trying to hunt down images produced with cameras you're considering taken with the same scope that you want to use it with. I have a hunch that some cameras will perform well in very large apertures, but struggle compared with others as the aperture gets smaller.

James

Oh, regarding the difference between CMOS and CCD; historically CCD cameras have been more sensitive, but CMOS cameras are catching up fast. I think now it's probably more relevant just to look at sensitivity rather than base a decision on whether the camera has a CMOS or CCD sensor.

James

Thank you James - Great answers as always, I will go on the hunt in the forums to see the images and then ask whoever has taken them, as you suggested.

Thank you once again :grin:

think now it's probably more relevant just to look at sensitivity rather than base a decision on whether the camera has a CMOS or CCD sensor.

Don't forget sensor type/brand, sensor read noise, shutter type, software support and so on. Using old Micron/Aptina sensor isn't a good thing (as well as using it for H-alpha Solar imaging). There is only a limited set of really usable and good performing CMOS sensors. As for CCD - it also has to be a planetary camera. Some guiders like SX Lodestar, Brightstar Mammut have an interlaced CCD which is useless for Solar System imaging (+ they are 16 bit slow low gain cameras).

On ebay there is a cheap PGR Firefly - it's an older sensor but at a very low price (check few threads on this forum about it). Something better would be the D*K21AU618 cameras, PGR Chameleon in good price, and probably the ASI120M :)

I am totally lost - there are way too many and so much info

if you had £300.00 list what you would buy :smiley: (no added costs for reducers filters etc)

I appreciate it is only advice :laugh:

Keep in mind Nexstar 6SE with goto

The ASI120 cameras are also available from ZW Optical directly, at a lower price than TS.

I'd say that the ASI120MC is probably at least as good as the DFK21.AU04 and I reckon it might be much better as aperture size goes up. The smaller pixel size I think works in its favour as aperture sizes increase because focal length doesn't need to be so great to achieve the same image resolution. If you were wanting to image with a small (perhaps up to 4"-ish) Mak or SCT then it might go the other way.

James

Thank you that looks great :smiley: Do I need an adapter to fix it to eyepiece / scope ?

No, it comes with everything you need. I have unboxing photos of mine. I'll try to write something up asap if that would be helpful.

James

No, it comes with everything you need. I have unboxing photos of mine. I'll try to write something up asap if that would be helpful.

James

Thank you James I will order one in a minute, ( This is the one you said in your first thread I believe) :smiley:

You don't have to write anything up, you have been helpful enough already :laugh:

You don't have to write anything up, you have been helpful enough already :laugh:

I've been meaning to for ages. I've had the camera three months :)

If you're using one of these cameras then it's worth looking into FireCapture to capture the data (you may need the beta version). The learning curve is a bit fierce, but there's documentation explaining the basics of the controls on the website and I've found it works well once you get the hang of it.

James

• 4 weeks later...

The QHY5L-II mono and ASI120MM are both built on the same sensor (MT9M034 mono) and seem to offer very similar capabilities from firmware and drivers. The QHY also looks slightly more cheaper with @ £ 229 (UK price @ MA), but lighter, slimer form and offers an ST4 guide port. Ignoring possible later use as a guidecam, does the ASI120MM have any hardware or software advantage for planetary imaging?

It must be said I've seen rather more output from the ASI120MM within this forum, which may tell its own story.

Archived