Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Explorer 200P EQ5 or 150P DS EQ3-2?

Hi All,

Ive been looking at the 150P Skywatcher and was advised to go for the PDS version.

Skywatcher Explorer 200P EQ5

Skywatcher Explorer 150P DS EQ3-2

My question is what is the difference between these two? You would of thought the 200P would be slightly more expensive as it is bigger and has the better mount, also its has more gear with it, EP's etc. I want to go for the 150PDS because it has the Dual Speed (Haven't actually worked out what this does for me yet) but for the price of the 200P with the better mount i maybe swayed to buy that one instead.

Am i missing something here?

Thanks all

Mache

The ds gives you 10 to 1 focus so you can do finer focus. If however you ever intend to get an autofocuser (and you should, to reduce the wobble when you focus) then the DS bit if the focuser is no longer usable.

Howeve on the 200pds, which I have with an autofocuser on it, you also get a bigger secondary mirror which is better for photography.

I would personally no go for either of you choices but put the money towards a heq5 pro synscan (2nd hand even) which is a much better mount I you do go into photography.

If you aren't going into photography I don't see much advantage to getting a pds over a p. in fact I'd be tempted to get a 200p dob and add a mount like the heq5 later. The tube is the same (apart from the paint job) so all you would need is a pair of rings and a dovetail bar to mount it...

Sorry if I'm adding confusion here, but I think if it was me, if I'd have got an eq5 or eq3-2, I would have regretted it later.

In fact, I often wish I had a dob base for my 200pds, so I could use it without the fuss of taking out and aligning my eq mount. Retro fit dob bases seem to come in 2 flavours: DIY which I don't have the time to do; or really expensive.

I think if I were starting again, a 200p dob now with a future plan to get a heq5 plus rings and dovetail is the way I would go. That covers pretty much all bases in a single setup. Don't forget you will need to budget for a Cheshire collimator too. £20 to £30. They are essential to set up any fast reflector.

I hear what your saying and all the feedback is helping a lot. I only have a budget of around 4-500£. Planetary and DSO's are my thing and yes im thinking about going into photography when i next get some more money together.

The 200P Dob looks amazing and ive read alot of reviews saying how easy it is to assemble and take around, im just not a fan of the flat base. Here we have a communal garden which is on a slight hill so the Dob wouldnt even be near level. I like the other mounts as you can pretty much take them anywhere and they'll be level, but ive also read they can get in the way.

Think ill go to the star meet on the 20th and see what everyone else is happy with and go from there, like you said, down the line you don't really want to be regretting buying a £200+ mount.

The only thing i would warn with the 200p and the EQ5, this is the set up i have, but when getting into AP i found the load limit on the EQ5 mount a little short. With the OTA and various bits EP, finder, telrad etc. The weight limit was being reached without a camera.

I have had to upgrade to the NEQ 6. But the set up itself is really nice and I have been very happy with it for visual. Please consider a better mount if you want to do imaging

Velvet

One of the advantages of a dob is that you don't need a flat place to put it. You have to nanually move both axes anyway. Unlike a eq mount which will have you on for ages trying to level the legs, then aligning on true north...

The idea of opting for a 2 speed focuser over a bigger mount stikes me as crazy! A 2 speed focuser is a help for AP but an adequate mount is an essential. If the imaging is deep sky then the HEQ5 is, unfortunately, the one you need. The EQ5 does not have the finely controllable stepper motors or the stiffness. Even the HEQ5 is 'only just' with the 200 for DS imaging. It's frustrating but better to know in advance, I hope.

BTW, the size of the secondary in itself is only indirectly connected with imaging. In imaging you need more back focus so the secondary is brought closer to the primary and enlarged, meaning more of the light cone comes after the secondary. A slight loss of contrast results but I wouldn't worry about it.

Olly

As i only have the 150p, not the ds i can't speak for it. However, i do have the 3-2 mount and its light and quite small. Also it is impossible to focus without wobble, but if you can live with that its a good setup to start with. Bare in mind its been 5 months and i'm already thinking of upgrading to the 200p on an eq5, but thats what my budget can stretch to. What is for sure is its the mount that is all important, it is the basis for a rubbish or great setup regardless of the scope.

Archived