Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Baader SteelTrack and SW FF/FR for Evostar 80 ED DS Pro

As per the title, I'm wondering if anyone has used the SteelTrack with the SW 0.85 focal reducer which screws directly onto the focuser. I'm finding that my SW crayford focuser has trouble holding focus (even with the locking screw) when the scope is pointing upwards with the weight of my modded and cooled DSLR which weighs 750g. And I have to support the weight when focussing on Alp Boo which is high in the sky. This makes focussing very awkward and without being able to use motorised focussing. I have already adjusted the SW focuser which seemed to help for a while but I don't think it's really up to the job.

Not specifically with the SW reducer, but with a big WO reducer yes : held fine.

I've since moved to a Moonlite which I use with the SW reducer (you will need the nosepiece that you can get from FLO to change it from screw thread to 2" push fit.)

"Very High" is about all I can find :) Might be worth an email to Aunty FLO or Baader direct

Yes, that's all I could find - thanks anyway Stephen :)

I gather from what I've read that the MoonLite focuser is better than the SteelTrack. Both are expensive but the MoonLite is only £80 more - a relatively small proportion. So I'm considering waiting a bit longer and saving up for a MoonLite. The payload IS specified for the MoonLite at 6lbs that's nearly 3Kg so if my extreme modded camera weighs a kilogram it can handle that easily :)

One advantage the Moonlite stepper has is the clutch.

I like the sound of the clutch :) But who sells the motor focuser? And how much is it?

I like the sound of the clutch :) But who sells the motor focuser? And how much is it?

FLO imported mine for me (you can't order it seperately, it has to be built with the focuser) but they no longer offer the custom service.

I think you would need to go direct to Moonlite.

FLO imported mine for me (you can't order it seperately, it has to be built with the focuser) but they no longer offer the custom service.

I think you would need to go direct to Moonlite.

I see - back to the DIY approach then :) I expect to use a belt and pulley so could remove the belt to manual focus like I did with my analogue motor unit.

Archived