NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Stellarium Sync ?

Hi all,

I have used stellarium in preference to Cartes de ciel as in my opinion it is user more freindly, but am now using stellarium to operate my scope however when I used it the other night I had problems getting the mount in sync with the software, cartes de ciel has the option to sync using the eqmod panel and then simply askes the user if they are looking at the star they have chose then saves the result putting the scope and software in sync then if you want more accurate you can choose more points,

ok long way round to ask a question but how do I sync the software with stellarium or have I got to get used to cartes de ciel ?

Kev

If you are using EQMOD (or any other ASCOM mount driver) then you will need to use StellariumScope to provide the ASCOM interface and sync functionality. Stellarium itself doesn't have a sync function so what we do is trick it into beleiving it is controlling a second mount. When you hit ctrl 2 stellarium sends out a goto instruction to this vitual mount which StellariumScope receives and uses the goto data to issue an ASCOM sync to EQMOD.

I'm afraid that despite stellarium's great looks the inbuilt strategies for mount contol leave a lot to be desired!

Chris.

Cant realy argue with the facts then, so I'll get used to using CDC then, I know its probably a better programme than stellarium but for asthetics and user freindlyness stellarium has the edge.

Kev

I really wasn't trying to turn you off stellarium. Just pointing out that in order to achieve the kind of ASCOM mount control integration that CDC provides you will need to download and run StellariumScope.

Chris.

Its ok, I could never be turned off stellarium, I may just use cdc to align the mount then switch to stellarium later.

Kev

Archived