NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Changing from Oag to Guidescope?

Hi folks, could do with your experiance & opinion here! I have been useing my Oag some time now, and I can,t seem to find a suitable

guide star, since the Fov is very limited, plus the fact my patience is now running low. By the time I set things up, its early in the morning! You probably know what I mean..

Thinking of buying a Guidscope to make life easier, ( I hope) if so,what would be the best buy.....?

Be glad for some feedback..

Cu John

I guess you're at the end of your tether but I would try to persevere a bit longer to get the OAG working, I recently switched from piggy-back to OAG and wouldn't go back.

Just a few questions/suggestions about your OAG setup:

• What main camera and guide camera are you using?
  • Have you done daylight testing on a terrestrial target to get the main camera and guide camera in focus at the same time?
  • If you've done the daylight check, then fine-tune the focusing by pointing the main camera at a very bright star, getting that in focus (use a Bahtinov Mask) then move the mount so the star migrates to the guide camera FOV - keep the Bahtinov Mask on whilst you're doing this as the lengthy diffraction rays make it easier monitor the star's location as it moves from one FOV to the other. I do this everytime, it only takes a couple of minutes and is worth the effort.
  • Have you tried the radial adjustment on your Celestron OAG? Occasionally I've had to rotate my guide camera a little bit to locate a bright enough guide star.

If you've made your mind up on switching to a guidescope then I've often seen the SkyWatcher ST80 being recommended as a good one to go for. Another option that folks go for, especially to keep the weight down, is a finder-guider arrangement.

Hi, I know Patience is a virtue!

I ,am quiding with the spc900 webcam, and using the Canon 350D for imaging...

To be honest, I have not tryed that focusing in the daytime, by the time I arrive home from work its dark. Anyway will try at the weekend and see if things turn out better..

When setting up , I use the bahtinov Mask , and get the Camera in Focus, the trouble is,finding a star in this small Fov. That is a good idea with the diffraction rays, never thought about that!

The Radial Adjustment on the OAG, I have moved a few Times, but finding a bright star near enough to the object of interrest, up till now no joy...

Anyway manythanks for your reply, will try things out at the weekend, weather permitting..

Regards, John

Agree also! :)

I wondered if you were using the webcam as your guide camera, which I why I asked the question. The QHY5 as suggested by Merlin looks to be a popular choice. An alternative to consider is a Meade DSI - they are often available secondhand at a decent price. I have the DSI I colour version which works well but I understand that the mono DSI I or the mono DSI II make particularly good guide cameras due to their increased sensitivity.

The daytime test is well worth doing - you can take your time, and will get your setup pretty close. Then when you come to testing at night with a bright star, you shouldn't be far off.

Archived