Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

1st scope? skywatcher 150p vs 150pds + EQ3-2

Hi

I'm getting to the stage where I would like to buy my first scope. My budget is not great. A Skywatcher 150p f:5 with 750mm focal length and an EQ3-2 mount is what i'm looking at, starting with observing and at a later date adding R.A & D.C motors for tracking with an attached dslr for imaging D.S.O and maybe planets if the scopes focal length is good enough. Where I live, there is a fair amount of light pollution so I would like to take it out from time to time to a darker site so a max of 6" aperture should be easily transportable for a small car.

My questions are, will I have focusing issues with the 150p with the dslr fitted (something about back focus i think) or should I stretch out for the pds version with the upgraded focuser and slightly shorter tube if its worth it?

Also, will the mount handle the weight of the O.T.A and the camera without stressing the gears or is the mount simply not good enough for this kind of thing? My camera is a Canon 40D so is not the lightest camera to have.

I know that a HEQ5 mount would be more stable/accurate but is out of my price range at the moment

I don't want to rush into buying the above equipment and my selection is not set in stone as I am still learning the night sky with binoculars, but sooner or later the plunge is gonna have to be made, so if there is anybody with help/further advice or a better equipment option(£500 max for initial set up), it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

150p on EQ3/2 is what i started with and still use. No probs focusing and EQ3/2 with motors handles it fine. Mine has an extra 9x50 finder on top for guiding etc.

Im using the 30D so weight of cameras should be same. Yes I will buy a better mount at some stage but at the moment I am happy with the images I have taken. 2 appeared in S&N over the last few months so they can't be that bad?

HTH and good luck

150p on EQ3/2 is what i started with and still use. No probs focusing and EQ3/2 with motors handles it fine. Mine has an extra 9x50 finder on top for guiding etc.

Im using the 30D so weight of cameras should be same. Yes I will buy a better mount at some stage but at the moment I am happy with the images I have taken. 2 appeared in S&N over the last few months so they can't be that bad?

HTH and good luck

Just to gate crash this.....very impressed with the images you've taken from your scopes. Are they all from the 150p on the EQ3-2?

Excellent stuff....

What made you buy a skyliner 200p in addition to the explorer? Was that purely for the ease of viewing as opposed to imaging?

Thought the views would be better but TBH not that great. Hate the DOB mount as I hate having to nudge it to follow objects.

Hi bri. I have gone down the exact same route as your considering. I purchased the 150p on an eq3-2 and then a few months after bought the axis motors for it so far I have been very happy with it. The PDS is lovely but well out of my price range. Im not heavily into imaging ony getting into a spot of lunar and planetery with a webcam. JKB has taken some great shots on his eq3-2. I thiknk for a first scope this would be a great purchase. You can always upgrade in the future if you feel you want/need too

Archived