Welcome to Stargazers Lounge
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Celestron Advanced GT mount firmware upgrade problem

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

CeeDee

CeeDee

Nebula

• Members
  • 59 posts
I have a newly purchased Advanced GT mount running firmware: HC v4.16, MC 5.16
I have successfully upgraded the MC control software which went without a hitch but upgrading the Hand controller to v4.19 is proving impossible.
I have tried all combinations UNDO+INFO = ‘transmit data’ message and running the HCcontrol upgrade software. Yes, I downloaded the correct GEM v4.19 firmware selecting the correct USB virtual COM port etc. But every time I am getting an error message to say I must press UNDO+INFO on the hand controller in order to active the ‘transmit data’ mode. The comms through the laptop must be OK otherwise the MC control firmware could not have been transferred and installed in the mount. So does any know what is going on?? It is not a WIN 7 problem as I tried on a WIN XP laptop with the same results. :):p:p

spaceboy

spaceboy

Main Sequence

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 6,620 posts
As far as I am aware not all handsets are upgradeable.

CeeDee

CeeDee

Nebula

• Members
  • 59 posts
Yes, that true. But the hand set with the CG5 GT is upgradeable as it has firmware v4.xx already installed.

NizMakka

NizMakka

Nebula

• Members
  • 52 posts
I too had the exact same problem when I got my CG5. I believe it's down to the USB-Serial lead (mines a prolific chipset by the way). So I ended up plugging it into my older PC that does have a proper serial connection, and it worked first time.
Maybe a different USB-serial lead, such as the FTDI version, might work. Someone else would have to confirm that though as I don't have anything other than the prolifics.
SW Explorer 200P
SW ST80
Celestron CG5-GT
Canon 350D (self modded)
SPC900NC SC1.5
Baader Hyperion 8mm
Stuff that came with my scopes - 10mm 25mm
Grampion 10x50 Binoculars

CeeDee

CeeDee

Nebula

• Members
  • 59 posts
Moving on.....

Managed to use a computer fitted with a RS323 serial port but running Ubuntu. Configued the serial port, downloaded the HC updater 1.1.14 and GEM 4.19 firmware. Put HC in ‘transmit data’ mode and BINGO! It worked ...up to a point. We got as far as block 09C4 and the thing froze when verified got the following error on the PC:

“Found difference at Bank: 0,block:16” :)

Now the HC is locked in ‘Transmit data’ mode and unable to run any firmware but at least it points to there being an incompatibility somewhere between Celestron’s HC com port and USB-to-serial conversion. Why don’t Celestron produce the HC with a USB port it would save all these problems???? No PC has had a serial port for years!

Now how do I reinstate the firmware?:p:p

CeeDee

CeeDee

Nebula

• Members
  • 59 posts
The guys over on Cloudy Nights Forum suggest using a serial PCMCIA card. Good success with that avenue aparently.

Didn't realise they made PCMCIA Serial port cards!! That could solve all the issues. I'll give it a try and report back. Hopefully this problem and its eventual solution will help other 'night hawks'.

spaceboy

spaceboy

Main Sequence

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 6,620 posts
There are compatible serial/usb converters on Sherwood's website Celestron telescope - Eyepieces - Filters - Photo-adapters bit pricey but not compared to having to replace your hand controller if corrupted.

CeeDee

CeeDee

Nebula

• Members
  • 59 posts
Many thanks to all those who offered support and help on this one. I can confidently report:

Problem Solved!!!

Solution: forget Serial-to-USB. Purchase a good quality Serial port PCMCIA card for an XP laptop. Hand controller updates, verifies and works like a dream! GEM Version 4.19 SORTED! :D:):p:);)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users