NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Cleaning advice

Can anyone give me advice on how to clean the corrector plate on an SCT? I noticed this evening that mine is quite dusty (originally I was looking for a spider which was leaping about in my field of view as I was looking at Saturn). I am worried about touching it with anything so would appreciate your help.

Never done it but the corrector plate is a pretty solid chunk of glass so should be safe with "Carefully, and use a propriatory lens cleaning fluid". Then take your time.

You are not considering removing it are you?

If so then cleaning is one aspct, and the minor one, getting it back on in the correct position and then recollimating is the other bigger one. In this case get someone that knows what to do do it for you.

If you do remove it make sure it has orentation maks on the corrector and OTA,if not make your own marks as it has to go back in the same position and when reinstalling DO NOT overtighten the retaining screws.There are some good(how to's)on the web if you google it.Maybe look at some before you decide to attempt removing it.

Archived