NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

2nd Attempt at imaging anything.

KE400

Hi

Here's my 2nd attempt at Saturn taken on 10/04/11 with my LS 6" & SPC900, also used Registax 6. I still haven't manged to get an image using a Barlow as yet but will keep trying!

post-23907-133877564609_thumb.jpg

That's a nice image for only your second attempt.

What is the problem with the barlow? Is it a case of not being able to find the object when you add it? If so, this may help.

Find the moon. focus camera on moon. find a memorable crater and get it in the centre of the fov. replace camera with barlow+camera. refocus, noting what you have to do to refocus - which way, how many turns. adjust position so that original crater is now back in the centre of fov, noting which buttons you have to press and for how long (a simple count should do it). repeat the entire exercise on Saturn using the 'noted' adjustments you have made.

This should compensate for any slightly 'off line' effect of adding the barlow into the optical train, and also by getting to a point where you know you are roughly in focus.

HTH (and does not come over as in any way patronizing - not intended that way)

DP

That's exactly what the problem has been. Every time I attempted to insert the Barlow with cam, I find it very difficult to locate Saturn again. I briefly had a larger blurred image on screen the last time out but the image swiftly vanished off screen before I had a chance to centre and focus it and I couldn't find it again to my anoyance. That happened pretty late on in the evening and I was about ready to wrap it up and head off in so didn't persue any further. I know that I'm not that far off getting it right and will carry on until I do get it, your idea of the moon crater and remembering the steps needed to focus sounds like a great idea and I'll try that next time out. I guess it's just a case of practice and patience will pay off hopefully. Another factor is the tripod mount for the LS 6 which seems to be a bit light/flimsy, when I change an EP or over to the cam, the scope seems to shift momentarily, that maybe just my ham-fistedness on changeover though too!

Thanks for the advice

Archived