NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Helix Mfg mini grab n go mount

AndyH

Hi all.

Just picked up my mount(helix mini grab n go) from the post office today. I think they had lost it for a week :-(

First impressions are.......it's sooo small!!. Seriously, it will fit in the palm of your hand. Very nicely made as I've come to expect from Tim's stuff. The included dovetail is especially nice.

Just managed to give it a first light before the clouds rolled in.

I put my Ylena Mak-Cass(85mm, F14) on board and after a quick balance went to work.

I centred Saturn and used the following eyepieces. A Tal 25mm(old version,widely believed to be a konig) giving 48x, a U.O. 12mm Konig giving 99x, an apogee 7.7mm abbe ortho giving 155x and an antares 6mm ortho giving 198x.

At 198x and a field of view of only 0.2*, i was able to move saturn about with ease!! No judders. Remarkable, especially considering the teeny size of this mount. Clouds rolled in before i could go crazy and stick in a 5mm for 238x power.

Do remember i wasn't using super duper wide angle eyepieces!!!

As the mount did not come with a panning handle, I took the one off my helix hercules 8" fork and screwed it into the threads provided. I highly recommend you purchase this handle.

I think Tim(Helix mfg) is on to a winner with this mini-me mount. I recommend you give it a go. At $150 + handle cost, its a bl**dy steal.

When the skies clear I'll pop my Intes-Micro M500 on and give it a whirl. I may even try out my Tal 100rs for a laugh.

Cheers, Andy.

ps: I'll take a few pics asap.

Seems to be just white teflon pads. Simple, but it sure works.

I've got the 8" fork version too. A lot bigger and can be fitted with encoders and Sky commander, which is exactly what i did. Works nicely with my Intes-Micro M500

2042_normal.jpeg

This wee mount is something else tho. It shouldn't really work, it's so small. The da*n thing fits in my jacket pocket!!!

Cheers, Andy.

Which one?? :rolleyes:

I quite fancy the Kielder Forest one. I'd like to check out Hadrians Wall which is relatively nearby.

Real busy at work at the moment and I won't know nearer the time if I'll be able to get away as I'm working Saturdays also :wink:

Andy.

Hi again.

Just tried my Tal 100rs(4" F10) on this mount. The Tal rings, mount onto the dovetail with no modifications. Note that this 100rs is a bit more focuser-end heavy due to me mounting the splendid tal 8x50 finder. After making sure of balance and waiting for clouds to part, i zeroed in on saturn again and used the same eyepieces as before. The 6mm Antares ortho gave 167x, again with a tiny field of view(0.24*). Like before I had no problem moving the mount to keep saturn centred. Didn't have a 5mm 'piece with me to go to 200x but i don't think the mount would have stuggled any. It should also be noted that there was no shaking of the image when scanning around. When the tube was tapped, the image settled in approx 1 second. I noticed that the panning handle was not necessary in a tube this length. You just push the scope around.

Quite amazed that the mini mount would perform so well with this long tube. It was originally done for a giggle, but there's no laughing coming from me now. Just quiet admiration.

I'm rather pleased with this purchase

Cheers, Andy.

ps:I think I may invest in a few of the Burgess/TMB Planetary's for a wider FOV.

2041_normal.jpeg

Archived