Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Moongazing

Karen

Last night and the night before I have been concentrating on Lunar viewing. Copernicus was a wonderful sight last night so I pushed the mak 127 to its limits for a good close look. What is the rim to rim diameter of this crater? Are those pimples I can see in the middle actually mountains?

Yep. There are three mountains in the centre of Copernicus. Well done Karen.

I've also been catching up with the Moon over the past few days and had a look at Copernicus last night - fantastic isn't it? In my opinion it's one of the best Lunar features...

It has a diameter of 56 miles and a height of 11,400 ft. Those central peaks are around 1200m high!

Yep. There are three mountains in the centre of Copernicus. Well done Karen.

I've also been catching up with the Moon over the past few days and had a look at Copernicus last night - fantastic isn't it? In my opinion it's one of the best Lunar features...

It has a diameter of 56 miles and a height of 11,400 ft. Those central peaks are around 1200m high!

Thankyou,

I thought make the most of observing the moon while it's in view. Copernicus is fascinating to look at It looked close enough to touch at 250x. Now I know its diameter I can gauge the size of other lunar features.

You might like to take another look at Copernicus later in the month, Karen, when the tendril-like ejecta rays show brighter, and it takes on a different character...

I'd also recommend you take a look at Virtual Moon Atlas 5.1 (download size of around 100MB) if you're going to be doing a lot of Lunar viewing. It's free and it's a bit like Stellarium for the Moon. :)

You might like to take another look at Copernicus later in the month, Karen, when the tendril-like ejecta rays show brighter, and it takes on a different character...

I'd also recommend you take a look at Virtual Moon Atlas 5.1 (download size of around 100MB) if you're going to be doing a lot of Lunar viewing. It's free and it's a bit like Stellarium for the Moon. :)

5.1 wont run on my laptop. I think it's because the graphics chip is not up to the job. But downloaded an earlier version. Lots of useful info about the moon and a map which acurately resembles what appears in the scope!

Archived