Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

upgrade mount and 'scope

Hi All,

Ive been round the houses with regards an upgrade to my Celestron Travel Scope 70 and the camera mount I'm using.

As a happy visual looker I'm considering the AZ4 mount (possibly the EQ 3-2 if they are similar in size, damping etc) for the 70mm above which will provide the mount for my telescope upgrade. This looks like a solid mount - anything must be better than the Star63 camera mount I'm using - in fact it simply puts me off stargazing at the mo. :)

I'd like a refractor (Startravel or even an APO) and/or Mak 127 to look forward to and then mount this on my new mount.

I'm considering just purchasing the mount to get to enjoy my little 70mm first then the 'scope later.

I very nearly ordered the AZ4 yest from FLO! But Martin mentioned that a Skymax will sit 90 degress rotated and hence the finder down on the side of the OTA. A refractor would sit normally.

Any thoughts or experience on my combination?

BTW, my little Travel Scope looks a Beast! (Remember I am an acolyte!)

Thank you

Tim

they are slightly different mounts for different purposes. the eq mount can only be used efficiently for astronomy. whearas the az4 can be used for terrestrial use as well, Neither are suited for long exposure astro photography so that's not an issue. The eq mount will be easier to use for astro work once its set up. However the az mount is more versatile and doesn't need polar aligning. Which is better? your choice I'm afraid both are decent mounts with a smaller scope. So it really does depend on what you intend to use it for

OK Rowan46,

Both good mounts but of course then I'll be limiting myself to visual - good for me - and probably 6" Newt or 4-5" frac.

Versatilty AZ4 vs astro effeciency of EQ3-2.

.......let me read your reply again...... lots to take in :)

thanks

Tim

Archived