RAW files

Guest Andromeda1

Guest Andromeda1

Hi Everyone

Hope someone can help please. Last night I took my first images of Saturn and the Moon with my Canon 1000D. Today I've downloaded them as RAW files using the EOS Utility. However, when I open Registax and browse for the pictures it doesn't recognise the CR2 extension. I'm assuming I need to convert the files but not sure what to. Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you Di

Guest Andromeda1

Thanks both

I've already got DSS and have just run my 10 pics of the moon through it. However, it said it could only stack one frame. Need to learn more about the programme I reckon. Cheers

Use the Digital Photo Professional software that comes with the camera to batch convert all the Raw files to 16 bit Tiff files and then use Registax to stack and align the Tiff files.

DSS is mainly used for stacking and aligning star fields not planets

Guest Andromeda1

Thanks Kev Successfully converted them to tifs but then Registax said it could only stack one frame!! Don't know enough about the software yet. Cheers

Registax works best with lots of small files, like the individual frames of a .mov video from a webcam. It will soon get tied up manipulating lots of huge raw .cr2 files.

I've used v5 to process 105 tiff images, each over 50Mb in size. For some reason v6 just craps out when I try to do the same thing.

But it is designed to process video files where the frame size is significantly smaller

Archived