Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Welcome to Stargazers Lounge

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customise your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar.jpg

jasperuk

FWHM BackyardEOS

3 posts in this topic

I was messing around with the frame and focus last night for the first time and i noticed the FWHM which i presume was a focus score based on how good my focus was (Total guess work here :D), i managed to get down to 95 but no better, am i doing it right or can someone please explain the frame and focus to me so i know what i am trying to achieve

Cheers

Edited by jasperuk

jasperuk,

It’s more than just a score… it’s the width of a star at half its height.

Full Width Half Maximum is the width of a star's image at half its peak. Focus is achieved when you get the lowest value for the same star over time, indicating a tighter star. BackyardEOS implements FWHM by calculating the standard deviation (the square root of the variance) of all pixel values in a very small selected area. Read more here (albeit a bit technical) Full width at half maximum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Look at the graphic in the upper right corner of the wiki web page, a picture is worth a thousand words.

You will get a different value for different stars so the point here is not to compare FWHM reading with readings from other users and/or stars. Once you have located your star and placed it in the smaller zoom box in the lower right corner in BackyardEOS, the data of the star is analyzed, a bell curve is calculated, and it’s width at half its height is the FWHM feedback returned by BackyardEOS.

Hope this helps,

Guylain (Creator of BackyardEOS)

Edited by guyroch
1 person likes this

"You will get a different value for different stars so the point here is not to compare FWHM reading with readings from other users and/or stars. Once you have located your star and placed it in the smaller zoom box in the lower right corner in BackyardEOS, the data of the star is analyzed, a bell curve is calculated, and it’s width at half its height is the FWHM feedback returned by BackyardEOS."

Thanks!! I just started playing around with BYEOS and I haven't been able to find anyone to explain it as clearly as that.

Thank you!