Saturn Sketch

Kain

Given up trying to image Saturn with the camera, so decided to sketch it instead!

image.jpg

Could see 6 moons using 6.5mm EP (192x) I presume the to faint points of light furthest away from the planet is moons anyway.

It was the first time tonight I could see bands of clouds on the surface and the devision!! I couldn't believe it! I used my Meade moon filter to see the planet with, seemed to bring out the details lol.

Sorry for my poor drawing, but I ain't very good at it!

Kain

To be honest, it was the first time I have spent looking at Saturn for any length of time. Usually I just show Saturn off to the neighbours etc and get the oohs and ahhhs of them for seeing a 'star' with rings round it.

Last night though, was the first time I could see 6 of the moons (Anyone know which is which? I know the bright one south of the planet is Titan according to S@N finder chart) so I thought the seeing must have been pretty good. That was at 62x mag.

I then cranked up the power too 192x and my god, I could see that Saturn was stripy!! I take it those are the illusive cloud bands on the planet! I couldn't believe it! and then the Cassini devision became clear to me too! So I went in the house, come back out with the pencils and paper, and started to sketch what I could see! I know the drawing ain't great, but it gives the idea what I could see.

Sometimes you just have to look more to see these details. I think it's my own fault for not looking at Saturn longer before now.

Kain

Hi Kain

Well done on the banding have only seen 2 or poss 4 before and only seen 5 moons on previous occasions, you could try using stellarium to go back to the time of observation and zoom in on saturn- you should see the main moons and there relative positions and compare this to your sketch. If you don't have stellarium it is free on the web just google it. Again nice sketch cheers for that.

Gary

Archived