Balancing..Have I got it wrong?

For the last 7 months or so I have been balancing my 8 inch reflector scope on equatorial mount in the R.A first and then Declination as stated in the manual that came with it. However today I was looking on the web for some more detailed balancing instructions as I was never quite sure about it and found that some people balance the Declination axis first and then the R.A :icon_eek: . Can anyone shed some light on this?

Many thanks.

I'm not sure it matters Tommy, but if you are an imager, it is better to bias the weight towards the East if you are imaging from the west side of the mount, and towards the scope if you image from the east side. Basically, this is to keep at bay any potential backlash in the RA gears, and the drive is therefore pushing the scope around the RA axis. The bias must not be excessive however, just sufficient to keep the teeth meshed against the drive.

As for balance in general, it is important, and done when every component is attached to the telescope, including eyepiece :icon_eek:.

Ron.

Ron is right Tommy but you need to balance the declination with the scope horizontal and then vertical! Andrew

Ahh now balancing the declination vertically is not in my manual. How does that work?

Ahh now balancing the declination vertically is not in my manual. How does that work?

dont quote me on this but i think what i'm about to say is right

sorry wroung info so i deleted it b4 i get shot :icon_eek:

but there is a good source of video info on youtube form Astronomyshed

dont quote me on this but i think what i'm about to say is right

sorry wroung info so i deleted it b4 i get shot :D

but there is a good source of video info on youtube form Astronomyshed

Hehe dont worry my sights are firmly targeted on my neighbours heinous array of security lights. Thanks for the youtube source :rolleyes:

Tommy - In our 3 (space) dimensional world you need balance in 3 directions. On a German equatorial mount that requires you to balance 1) about the RA axis, best done with the declination axis parallel to the ground and 2) about the declination axis in two planes, again best done with the scope horizontal and secondly vertical again with the dec axis horizontal.

The RA and horizontal scope are fairly obvious but if you turn the scope vertical (from an otherwise balanced condition) it may not stay vertical as for instance a guide scope, heavy imaging train or eye piece may be "off to the side" and tip it over.

You can rotate the tube in its rings (if it has them) or add balance weights to get the vertical balance but then recheck the others. I do vertical scope in dec, horizontal scope in dec then RA as I have a telescope that is bolted to the mount so I have to add or subtract lead weights as I swap over quite heavy instruments for light ones(spectroscope with two cameras for a web cam).

Hope this is clear

Andrew

Archived