Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SynScan Handset

You need the Synscan AZ Goto handset - but yes - I've done this and so have several others. Best to upgrade to the latest version first - but otherwise it just plugs in and runs. Not too accurate for imaging - you'd get away with short exposure planetary shots - but for observing the accuracy is absolutely fine :icon_eek:

You can get the software upgrades direct from the Skywatcher main site.

http://www.skywatcher.com/swtinc/customer_support.php?class1=1&class2=110

The way I did it was to purchase the AZ Synscan Goto mount for £190. The tracking handset on the dob will work with that mount so it's a straight handset swop.

Then you have a tracking mount left which can be used with another suitable ota or sold off as a complete tracking mount (mine went for £75). The net cost of upgrade was only around £120 after postage costs. I think costs have gone up a bit since the last budget.

You can get the replacement handset on it's own but it's around £200 new so you may as well get the full mount:

SkyWatcher SynScan Goto AZ Mount & Tripod

Hope that helps :icon_eek:

Archived