Speeds And Barlows

Hi All,

Im About to get a motor drive for my eq3-2 mount, But was wondering about the speeds, If the motor drive has 1x 2x and 4x speeds then surley if you use a 3x barlow it wont track as the 2x would be too slow and 4x too fast and I havent seen a 4x barlow on sale but it would be too powerfull for my scope anyway with my current eyepieces.

If I am right 1x = normal viewing through a eyepiece with no barlow

2x is with 2x barlow

4x would be either side of speeds required.

Kev.

kev,

The mount speed has nothing to do with the scope. The mount doesn't even know what telescope you use...a short refractor or a very very long reflector.

The x1 is the normal tracking rate to follow the stars. The other x2, x4 etc is for fast slewing between objects.

The x 2 etc for a Barlow just means that's the increase it makes in the focal length of the scope i.e. if you have a 150mm f5, focal length 750mm telescope; with a x2 Barlow it would effectively become a 150mm, f10, focal length 1500mm.

HTH

Thanks guys,

So the reason for the object apearing to move faster is then down to a smaller field of view with say a 4mm ep compared to a 25mm ep.

I guess Im going to be a a learning curve for quite some time. and then just when I think I've learnt what I need to know there'll be so much more to learn.

Kev.

Archived