Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Electric Focuser

Hi All can any one tell me what i need to buy in order to supply 9volts to a Skywatcher focuser motor,i`m using a good quality bench supply and do not want to rely on 9v batteries,all my other electrics are 12v, so i`m assuming some kind of voltage reducer?

Anyone know what the spec`s of the skywatcher focus motor are,or where to get them?

ATB

Mike

The hand controller will work fine with 12v. The motor might not like "the full wack" for extended periods though. (This will be just under 12v). If you limit yourself to only using 3/4 of the (new) available speed then it should be OK.

Alternatively, if you want to do a bit of soldering (adding a resistor inside the H/C) then I could do the sums for you.

Steve

Hi Steve,if you would do the sums i will have a go!!!! Would love to know the specs of the motor it appears very torquy, i am busy making up a bracket to fit my w/o 110FLT, so working on the handset is another good excuse to be in the shed:hello2:

ATB

Mike

Mike

I'm having trouble trying to work it all out. My brain is just not functioning properly!

What I have just done though, is measure the output voltage with an input of 9v & 12v. The o/p was ~7v & ~9v respectively. Therefore I don't think that it will be a problem 'as is'.

Does that help or are you not convinced?

If you do want to fiddle about inside the H/C then the resistor that needs REDUCING is the 270 ohm one (red, violet, brown). If you've got one, try ~200 ohms. Turn the speed up to max and measure the o/p before and after changing the resistor. You're looking for an o/p of ~7v.

Steve

Archived