Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Edmund optics flocking material anyone?

WayBig

I've just used the thin (no.40), non adhesive 26"x37" paper to line an 8" dob I'm building and it's great. It's thin enough to bend into the corners of the octagon but stiff enough to be easy to handle. I used 3M repositionable Photo Mount spray adhesive to attach it which works well.

post-18256-133877555405_thumb.jpg

I've been thinking of getting some for a while now.

I'm leaning toward the #40 stuff. Why? Well, because I find sticky backed stuff a pain to apply and I think firstly applying a glue to the ota etc, will make the placement of the flocking easier, in that you can move the paper about to suit, before it sets. It also states on Edmunds website that the non adhesive stuff has less of a sheen. Finally, the #40 comes in much bigger sheets and at 0.25 mm thick, is as sturdy as the thick card I sometimes use in my printer.

Andy.

I'm only planning on doing the focusser tube, opposite the focusser and maybe the bottom around the primary

I was intrigued to see that the non-adhesive stuff is less shiny than the adhesive one...which did make me a bit nervous about getting the adhesive one.

does the Photo Mount spray on glue hold ok in cold dewy conditions?

I don't know - I haven't finished building it yet! The can says that it is PH neutral and to allow it to dry for 24 hours before exposing to different temperature/humidity conditions. The dried bond is pretty tough. If it starts to peel off it should be easy to stick back again, but I doubt it would deteriorate in any conditions you would be willing to leave nice optics in.

Archived