What webcam?

Been thinking about trying my hand at some simple images, Nebula, star clusters etc, would love to try planets but with my dob and 130p goto i guess not the best for tracking:confused:.

Not got a digital SLR so was thinking of a webcam, would this be ok?

not after some of the great photo's you guys can do (yet) just a quick intro with some "reasonable" shots.

I think i understand about stacking etc so will tackle that later on, just looking for advice about what webcam to use and any filters attachments i need etc to get me going, dont what to spend big money just yet like i said just a intro into the subject.

I have used a old VGA camera, I took off the case so you have just the chipboard. I took a old film case (Little black container with grey lid, coincidently it the perfect size to fit over an eyepiece) I cut the bottom of the container off and then made a hole in the lid for the CCD sensor to fit snuggly into. I then took off small lengths off the bottom until it was close enough to the eyepiece and I was able to get it into focus. I have no tracking mount either at the moment using just a small 76mm reflector and have managed to get some humble images of saturn, by using video capture and letting it move across the FOV in a lower magnification EP. Whilst the intial results can be some what fuzzy and sometimes slightly distorted, using software like registax really does help produce modest images from the original capture. There are particular models you can modify to allow long exposure (Depending if you feel brave enough to do the soldering), if you search 'astrophotography with webcam' the is a large number of results, most recommend a particular model of Phillips webcam with appropriate software to use with it.

Another consideration is buying a reasonably priced digital camera and using a digiscope attachment to keep the camera steady. There is a good video guide on the BBC Sky at night for webcams http://http://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/feature/astrophotography-guide/webcam-imaging in addition to this there is a video guide on how to take pictures with a digital camera on the BBC sky at Night archive, although I cannot find the page now, but this link http://http://www.wikihow.com/Photograph-the-Night-Sky seems to summarize the kind of settings you will need to use in order to capture optimum images possible.

I hope this is some help, let me know how it goes :D

Hi Dave, have you thought about getting the spc900 lx. Have a look here - Astronomiser - Automated Astronomy and AstroImaging Solutions

LX isn't going to be any good with a Dob, you're probably going to be just fine with the standard 880 as found here (and almost universally used to start with on here) :D

Buy Cheap online from Morgan Computers

You will need the camera, nosepiece, filter, and if you want to save yourself the hassle have them flash it for you.

thanks guys, thats just what i needed to know , will take a look later.

Kh3ldar, what will the "flash" do? is it needed?

The flash tricks the camera into thinking it's a slightly different model (900.) IIRC it gives you finer control of the camera settings that you don't have if it thinks it's a 880 (though not long exposure) for taking images.

Is it needed? No - you can use it without.

Is it beneficial? Yes - if you aren't comfortable following the guides, it's only a couple of quid to have that hassle taken away :)

There are also further flashes you can do (following the guides on here) to make the camera take RAW and / or optimized non RAW images.

This may all be much more than you need to get started though - ATEOTD it's a cheap webcam that works well in low light and allows you to capture some good images. From there, you can progressively do more to it and improve the output.

Thanks again Kh3ldar you been most helpful, all is clear to me now.

Been looking at the "morgans" web site and very pleased with the price for what seems to be all the kit i need to get started, and like you said £2 to have it flashed.

Here's the link i been looking at, think i will be buying this.....Thanks again and when it comes and i start to use it get ready for a lot more questions.

Cheap Pre Flashed SPC880 CCD webcam bundle - 47842 - discounts & offers=

You don't need special Linux drivers for most webcams.

Correct, but the basic drivers it applies certainly won't fulfill the cameras potiental (Although there are some releases based on manufacturers windows drivers). But when you consider Linux vs Windows, I know Linux would win for me everytime :)

Archived