Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Putting scope and equipment into a container

Maybe this will be interesting to others as well.

I am interested in containerizing my scope equipment, at minimum the OTA, EQ mount and stand. My desire is to use a Pelican case, like the model 1690.

I figured there are more organizer freaks out there than just me.

If you have or have info on this please let me know. Even general info would be helpful especially since I am just starting on this effort, if thinking it through, at least a little before I jump.

Thanks,

John

C6-NGT OTA 6 inch D by 27 inch long

and various assorted parts

I considered the 'all in one' solution but rejected it due to the extreme weight. The 1690 weighs 19.5Kg empty :D add your equipment and you'll never lift it (no good unless you have level access from the house to the garden).

I split mine into smaller packages so I can carry (lug) them from house to garden or car to dark site etc.

Mount in Pele 1600 case = 22Kg

Counterweights, spreader, various bits in Duratool case = 19Kg

Tripod legs and scope (5in refractor) in soft padded bag = 15Kg

plus eyepieces (in maplin case) battery, laptop and a table and chair I have a full car whenever I go out.

That is true about the weight. I am starting to rethink the idea of one large box. The only thing is finding a pelican case that will hold the 27inch long OTA and not be very wide and deep and heavy.

Thanks

John

Archived