NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mount motors (inc. flextube) - noise levels

solarwallace

Hello all.

I wondered if anybody has any comments on the noise levels of mount motors? The HEQ5 Synscan is quiet from what I've read on Astrobabys website. The SW Flextube Auto sounds noisy when watching a video on Youtube.

Has anyone had any experience of an EQ5 with the standard dual axis drives as I know these are external?

I might want to use my scope on a campsite but obviously wouldn't want to disturb other campers so I need to keep things fairly quiet. I've read that the I can disengage the standard drives on the EQ5 and therefore use it manually and silently but was thinking of maybe a HEQ5 as a more stable option if I go down that route - not sure I can afford that mount though.

Once I've stopped agonising and got my new scope hopefully I can contribute and stop and asking all the questions :D

Any thoughts? (Thanks).

Steve

Don't know about the EQ5 but, despite what you say about the HEQ5, my one sounded like nails being rattled in a tin and my NEQ6 doesn't sound much better! Mind you, it only happens when slewing at high speed. In normal tracking mode, you just hear a gentle, comforting, very quiet whirring.

Archived